One vessel eBIAB system options with delayed start function

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froyd

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Looking into the usual three "tea urn" machines for a simple indoor BIAB solution Mash&Boil, Robobrew, Grainfather).

I would prefer something like a claw Hammer, Wort Hog, or Unibrau, but am I correct in thinking that none of these "higher end" systems offer the programmable timer that would allow me to have the strike water ready when I wake up in the morning or when I come home from work? Any workaround to add this functionality?

The guys over at WortHog will add a timer feature if you call them up, FYI.
I thought the timer function on the WH simply regulated the duration of the mash and the boil, not a count down/delay to the start of the ramp to strike temperatures.

The EZBoil controller can be done with a delayed start, just set the initial tempt to a value below water/room temp for the number of hours you want to delay. I have tried this personally, and it works!

Thanks for the tip! Unibrau offers the EZBoil controller option, and it looks like the Wort Hog is essentially an EZ Boil controller too.

Would be really easy to write a step in the brew boss app as well to set a delay

IMHO all these controllers are inferior to CraftBeerPi. I'd try to buy a system without a controller and use CBPi.

It's an automation software that runs on an RPi. Very easy to set up and wire up.

www.craftbeerpi.com

It's free. Buy an Rpi, a 5v adapter, a temp sensor and some relays and you've got a first class brewery control system.
Its cool and geeked out but some folks just want to plug a kettle in and brew without learning how to build and program stuff. That's where ezboil based controllers win.

Its cool and geeked out but some folks just want to plug a kettle in and brew without learning how to build and program stuff. That's where ezboil based controllers win.

You are talking about this controller, right ?

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=560

It is certainly not a turnkey solution. Seems to require an enclosure, wiring and programming, comparable to implementing an RPi system. The turnkey versions are expensive for what you get... basically a PID controller mounted in a box.

Last edited:
No the 16th DIN controller isn't fully turn key, but adding an SSR and heat sink isn't exactly the same as rigging up a PI system either. The tactile control of the knob and LCD display is still way easier for most people to understand.

When I said EZboil based controllers, I literally meant the turnkey versions like Auber's Cube or similar.

No the 16th DIN controller isn't fully turn key, but adding an SSR and heat sink isn't exactly the same as rigging up a PI system either. The tactile control of the knob and LCD display is still way easier for most people to understand.

When I said EZboil based controllers, I literally meant the turnkey versions like Auber's Cube or similar.

Adding an ssr to CBPi is the same as to a PID. 2 wires.

The CBPi UI is very intuitive. The hardest part of the setup is loading Raspbian onto an SD card but most high school students figure it out.

As far as I am concerned the traditional panel and PIDs are obsolete.

Craftbeerpi seems a good idea for a complex fermentor setup but not for just controlling a kettle temp. Maybe it's just me but I definitely don't want a rpi controlling my brew day. Things can't even run Kodi without freezing up every other day. Of course to each there own and you like tinkering with PC's have at it.cheers

Last edited:
Craftbeerpi seems a good idea for a complex fermentor setup but not for just controlling a kettle temp. Maybe it's just me but I definitely don't want a rpi controlling my brew day. Things can't even run Kodi without freezing up every other day. Of course to each there own and you like tinkering with PC's have at it.cheers

Tinkering with PCs ? RPi runs the same Linux that about half the servers in the world run. You might say it is well tested and stable. I think you might be confusing it with Windows.

Kodi is a huge, complicated app. Comparing it to CBPi is like comparing the space shuttle to a kite.

Enjoy your PIDs.

Tinkering with PCs ? RPi runs the same Linux that about half the servers in the world run. You might say it is well tested and stable. I think you might be confusing it with Windows.

Kodi is a huge, complicated app. Comparing it to CBPi is like comparing the space shuttle to a kite.

Enjoy your PIDs.
Definitely no confusion going on. Just feel there's no reason to overcomplicate setting the mash temp. I've considered something like that for my cold side as I can see in that case it having a benefit. Cheers

Back