Modulating a ebiab to a 3 vessel system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatsCradle

Reaction score

Hi everyone, I’m new to making beer but come from the wonderful world of home brew mead, cider, and fruit wine. I hope to purchase a ebiab system like a claw hammer, spike, or unibrau. If I do purchase an ebiab system but in the future want to convert to a 3 vessel system , could I use the vessel to serve as either a hlt, mash tun or boil kettle? I know that these ebiab systems have a heat coil, could I remove this if I wanted to use it in the 3 vessel systems and if not would the coil serve as an interference?

Most of the all-in-one, eBIAB units have the heating element embedded in the base of the unit, like a large electric coffee urn (that's basically what they are.) You could repurpose an AIO vessel as either and HLT or BK, without having to do anything about the element. If you have a 120V eBIAB, you may want to increase the heating rate if you go to a 3 vessel system. An easy way to add heating power is with a heat stick, like these from Brew Hardware. The heat stick would have to be plugged into a different GFCI protected circuit than the AIO unit to avoid overloading (and tripping) the circuit breakers.

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:

Paging Marvin Martian... (sorry couldn't resist)

Marvin Martian.gif

I don't know much about the all-in-one systems, but the prototypical eBIAB vessel is essentially a boil kettle. There's no reason it can't serve that purpose in a 3 vessel system as well. The Spike Solo, for example, could be used as a boil kettle or you could put an end clamp in the tri-clamp opening for the heating element, add a false bottom and use it as a mash tun.

Back