One Time Use Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdrinker

Reaction score
When I buy filtered water I often get a 4-5 gallon bottle from the grocery store that comes in a recyclable carboy. It's meant to be used once and then be put out for recycling. I was considering using these as a carboy as I'd get them when starting a batch, they are already clean and sterile. And when I'm done they just need a quick rinse and to be put outside.

I know they're food-grade as they are used to store water. They're just a lot thinner, so I'd probably use them just for conditioning when they wouldn't have any pressure buildup from primary or secondary fermentation to deal with.

Any thoughts?

:mug:

Not sure how wise that approach might be. Your wine is acidic and hopefully contains all kinds of volatile aromatics and other phenols and esters but the plastic used in those water carboys is not designed to be impervious to such liquids. The problem of pressure build-up is irrelevant because the CO2 escapes through the airlock. The real issue I would be concerned about is whether the acids and other volatiles in your wine will cause chemicals in the plastics to leach out. Best case scenario is that they will affect the taste. Worst case - they will affect your organs. I am no expert but I think that only HDPE plastics that are FDA approved for storing alcohol should be used IF at all.

This is what my freinds freind does. Where he lives they can not get betterbottles and glass carboys are either way to hard to find or cost gazillions to ship in, and end up broken. Fruit is easy to get however. ( lives in South America somewhere)

He takes those big water bottles and paints a sealent over them. Shelack type I think. That seals out the air. If droped the sealent does crack, so it just gets resealed. He has been making wine this way for two years now. Good wine, not quick hooch. I think he bulk ages only a few months however. Bottle aging is his prefured method.
So yes, you can use those water bottles. No testing has been done as to leaching chemicals. Long term use is not recamended. Doing your primary ferment should be fine. A quick rinse and back to recycling it goes. Saves on washing:). I have one I keep on hand for rackings when I don't have an empty carboy. I do not age wine in it however.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I dont think they are ideal, but I have 2 that I've used several times for wine and beer.

I have a wine making friend that makes a couple hundred gallons a year using these water carboys with no problem. Last time in his shop I saw 23 5 gallon ones and several smaller ones in use.

Like these? The odd thing is that I cannot find where to buy the empty containers, so I just buy the water and tip it out on to the supermarket garden.

Image1.jpg

I was referring to this type of water jug. It's a '1' type of plastic, I'm strongly considering using these for conditioning.

1399992781076.jpg

Vodka comes in a plastic bottle so wine won't be any worse.

Try leaving finnished wine in one of those vodca bottles for a few weeks. Then try it. Not tasty anymore. Ok for a few days, or even a couple weeks. Thats it however.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

i was told by a guy in an hbs in vegas that if the recycle symbol contains a 7 they are one use and if it's a 1 you can reuse it. i have several and am planning on using them to transport water from different places back home to use in different recipes.

I have had wine in plastic for a year or more with no ill effects what so ever. Maybe your lid was not on good. I would almost bet that in a few short years that wine bought in the store could also be sold in a plastic bottle.

I just found these for $10 at a local water depot. Brand new, 19 liters, and made to be reused. As an added bonus it has a built in handle. I'm thinking of picking up a few for secondary and aging.

1400210353201.jpg

Personally I would not do any long term aging in a water bottle. They are not gas impermeable. Better Bottles are a different plastic. They are purported to be much more gas impermeable. I have been using them and have kept beers in them for about 3 months and a wine for 6 months. All were good.

Added: I do use 3 gallon water bottles for smaller batch beers but, I haven't left the beer in them for more than 3 weeks.

Aging was probably the wrong term, secondary and clearing is what I'd use them for. If I ever decide to batch age a wine long term if probably use one of my extra kegs for that.

Back