One Step Sanitizer (Or Not?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biertschi

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been using Mr.Beer kit and it always included One Step sanitizer (It's not written on the pack but I guess it's One Step, right?)

I just red that One Step is not classified as a sanitizer by FDA anymore. So, I've never used any other sanitizers like StarSan or so. And One Step always worked well. The thing I'd like to learn is what kind of problems I could have with One Step. What's your opinion? Would I have any trouble with One Step? (By the way, I am not from the US or Canada. So, it's not that easy for me to find other varieties.)

And there's one more thing I'd like to ask. I've been reading about sanitizing here and saw that a lot of people use PBW or OxyClean to clean before sanitizing. I've never used a spesific product to clean to be honest. I just used the cleaning stuff I had in my kitchen. (Like dish soap) Then rinsed and then sanitized the equipment with One Step.

So, do you think the things I do are all fine or am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks in advance.

One Step and other "oxygen" based cleaners like OxiClean dissolve in solution to form hydrogen peroxide, which has antiseptic qualities similar to bleach. I think the big thing with One Step isn't that it doesn't provide sanitization, but that the producer didn't want to spend the time and money jumping through the regulatory hoops to get it listed as such.

I personally use StarSan, to great success, and do not have any experience regarding the efficacy of One Step. If it has worked for you in the past, there shouldn't be any reason it wouldn't continue to do so.

More info from the interwebz (source: Wikipedia):

Hydrogen peroxide can be used for the sterilization of various surfaces,[36] including surgical tools[37] and may be deployed as a vapour (VHP) for room sterilization.[38] H2O2 demonstrates broad-spectrum efficacy against viruses, bacteria, yeasts, and bacterial spores.[39] In general, greater activity is seen against gram-positive than gram-negative bacteria; however, the presence of catalase or other peroxidases in these organisms can increase tolerance in the presence of lower concentrations.[40] Higher concentrations of H2O2 (10 to 30%) and longer contact times are required for sporicidal activity.[41]

Hydrogen peroxide is seen as an environmentally safe alternative to chlorine-based bleaches, as it degrades to form oxygen and water and it is generally recognized as safe as an antimicrobial agent by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).[42]

Manufacturers website: http://www.ecologiccleansers.com/one-step.php

When I was making wine years ago, I always used One Step with good success.

I wouldn't use dish soap on my items, though. I'd use one step as a cleaner, and forget using dish soap as a cleaner. Dish soap can leave a residue, and it can cause some problems with plastic items than can retain the scent.

"Is One Step a cleaner or sanitizer?
In the U.S.A., "sanitizer" is a legal term defined by the Environmental Protection Agency. In order for a product to be called a sanitizer in promotional literature or on its packaging, that product must be approved by the EPA, assigned a registration number, and have an open file maintained with the EPA. Unless a company would like to invest an enormous amount of capitol in this process (or use another company's product through a process called "sub-registration"), they may not call their product a sanitizer."

Its a cleaner but could sanitize as well to an extent but no, its a cleaner. StarSan is a sanitizer.

Mechanical removal (i.e using a dedicated sponge and dish soap) of dirt is very important, and I would not skip it.
I always use a soapy sponge (that's used for nothing else) to clean things out. Then I sanitize with Star San or Iodophor.

Thanks everyone.

When I was making wine years ago, I always used One Step with good success.

I wouldn't use dish soap on my items, though. I'd use one step as a cleaner, and forget using dish soap as a cleaner. Dish soap can leave a residue, and it can cause some problems with plastic items than can retain the scent.

How do you clean your fermentation bucket when you bottle your beer? What should I use instead of soap?

Mechanical removal (i.e using a dedicated sponge and dish soap) of dirt is very important, and I would not skip it.
I always use a soapy sponge (that's used for nothing else) to clean things out. Then I sanitize with Star San or Iodophor.

Actually I do almost the same. Just with One Step instead of Star San or Iodophor. That's why Yooper's post confused me a little.

Thanks everyone.

How do you clean your fermentation bucket when you bottle your beer? What should I use instead of soap?

Actually I do almost the same. Just with One Step instead of Star San or Iodophor. That's why Yooper's post confused me a little.

Why not just scrub your bucket with a soft rag and hot water? As far as sanitizing, One Step is not a sanitizer, so you're not sanitizing in the same way as StarSan or Iodophor.

Hot water and one step make a great cleaner. It's the same thing as oxyclean. Use that and a soft cloth(soak if necessary) for all of your cleaning.

Yooper from 2009:

"I don't use soap on any of my brewing gear, because it's a "head killer" more than anything else, and can leave a taste if not rinsed well. It definitely won't harm the beer though, or keep it from carbonating."

I use Oxiclean and StarSan only.

Yooper from 2009:

"I don't use soap on any of my brewing gear, because it's a "head killer" more than anything else, and can leave a taste if not rinsed well. It definitely won't harm the beer though, or keep it from carbonating."

I use Oxiclean and StarSan only.

1. Rinse well, how hard is that? And you don't have to use a huge amount of dish soap on your dedicated sponge or soft cloth either. In addition, after scrubbing, and rinsing, you will then use Starsan or Iodophor.

2. Soap is a head killer. And dirt is a beer killer. If you get an infection, there is a good chance you need to throw away the fermentor as bacteria are difficult to remove due to their making biofilms.

Mechanical removal of dirt is the first thing one should do.

Before using PBW I rinse out the Better Bottles and use a hand towel that I stuff in and swirl around. Then after the PBW I repeat.

Diversol (b-brite, sani-brew, the pink stuff) for cleaning and star san for sanitizing. I can't imagine using anything other than star san for sanitizing. It lasts a while, doesn't stain, no rinse, no smell/taste, it's perfect.

I used One Step for my first couple of batches and wasn't too happy with it. I'm now using PBW and my equipment is much cleaner and its easier to use.

Back