One Pot All Grain Capacity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would use a 10 gallon pot. Gives you plenty of room to start with 7-8 gallons of water and plenty of room for boiling without boiling over.

Yeah I thought 10 would be enough, but I wanted someone who had done it before since it seems like most AG posts are for 10 gallon

10 will work, but 15 is better.
Because one day your going to wonder if you can do 10 gallons of BierMunchers Centennial Blonde at one time.;)

I would cut the entire top off the keg, anywhere b/w 10-15 gallons depending if you are going to stick w/ 5 gallons batches, or make large beers.

Then I would fasten handles...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cupboard-Ga...526?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f23d1d02e

Extracting a BIAB bag from a keggle with and undersized top hole seems less than ideal. Drips or runnoff from the bag can go into the keg skirt and wind up on your shoes. If you cut the keggle top in the usual fashion, cut the top hole as large as possible!!!

I use a 10 gal kettle (non keg) for 5 gal BIAB and it works great. I use 7 gal of water and there is about 3 - 4 inches of space left to the top of the kettle. For me that is enough space for boiling / foam with little worries about boil over.
ShantyBoil.jpg

If it were me, I would use the ½ barrel and save the money to use for something else. I have a 15 gallon pot and still am only doing 5 gallon batches. Some day though...

Im thinking the money will be better spent on a temp controller. Thanks for all the input.
PS it is an A-B keg

I used a 15 gallon aluminum pot. It gives me plenty of room and allows for large grain bills for those high gravity RIS...

I think a 10 gallon pot would be cutting close. That being said, I assume you are brewing out side with a propane burner, if you are doing stove top brewing, a smaller pot is advisable.

I had a similar question to this post. I have a Presto pressure cooker that's about 5 gallon but Im wondering where the balance line is between stove top partial mash/boils and ale grain mash tun is drawn.

I'm looking at the propane turkey fryer 8 gallon option or maybe a 3 gallon pot for a good dunk sparge. I just don't know what's the most economical option while also increasing beer quality from extracts..

Back