One month, low abv mead test.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimPilot

Reaction score
I've search how other counties make mead and discovered a youtube video of some Slavic mead.

Below is my recreation. Note - I skipped boiling honey since I think that step is not required since my raw honey doesn't contain bee "bits" or wax. they think boiling helps to breakup sugar and helps fermentation.

Start - 25 July.

2 Gallons of "Spring Water"
~2 Kg of raw local honey to produce 1.070 OG
1 x D47 (re-hydrated per package instructions)
Ferment normally without airing, adding nutrients or stirring (aka leave it alone)
27 July - ~1.070
30 July = 1.060
2 Aug = 1.050
6 Aug = 1.039
Moved to a secondary after ~ 2 weeks of fermentation. (keep dead yeast-sediment away)
Close bucket with a lid (no vent-off). Open lid and vent gas daily.
15 Aug = 1.020
21 Aug = 1.016
Moved to another bucket. Added ~550g of raw honey to 1.033. (* to desired taste)
Day later - bottled (11 bottles). Use flip-caps. (per picture)

Give it about week to produce CO2, but vent daily or potential for explosion.

After 1 week, Store bottles in less than 10C (so that fermentation stops) or drink it.

You have a 7.5 ABV bubbly light mead. Very drinkable after a month. Add few ice cubes.

Drinking it now with only 6 bottles left....

Today 31 Aug.

IMG-20220822-WA0002.jpg

Pressure fermenting would be good so you could drink it straight from the fermenter. Sounds like a nice drink!

Continuing with this test.

This time with different yeast and higher OG to remove backsweetening step.

2 Gallons of "Spring water"
2.1kg raw honey
1 x 71B yeast

OG 1.074

Start 2 Sep
1.050 15 Sep moved to secondary.
1.032 22 Sep bottled (11 x 750ml bottles @ 5.6 ABV)

Will have to open bottles daily to defuse little bombs. Taste right now - watered down sweet honey drink with zero taste of booze.

Cost is about 2.2 $ per bottle.

mead.jpg

Last edited:
Continuing with this test.

This time with different yeast and higher OG to remove backsweetening step.

2 Gallons of "Spring water"
2.1kg raw honey
1 x 71B yeast

OG 1.074

Start 2 Sep
1.050 15 Sep moved to secondary.
1.032 22 Sep bottled (11 x 750ml bottles @ 5.6 ABV)

Will have to open bottles daily to defuse little bombs. Taste right now - watered down sweet honey drink with zero taste of booze.

Cost is about 2.2 $ per bottle.

View attachment 781653
This will continue fermentation till all the sugar is gone. Why did you bottle? Way to early for this.

This will continue fermentation till all the sugar is gone. Why did you bottle? Way to early for this.
It's intentional. This will provide carbonation and create bobbly-light mead drink. In a week, they will rest in a refrigerator.

Those bottle types are usually good for about 4 atmospheres of pressure.

Will those flip tops burp themselves if the pressure gets too high?

Back