One gallon batch finished in 48 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeyjack

Reaction score
Just did a 1.25g batch two mornings ago, pitched yeast around 7am. Left it at 62-64F for about 36 hours then moved it upstairs hoping to get any where from 66-68F. This morning I came home and absolutely no bubbling in the airlock. Krausen had gotten maybe 1/2" high, and it did not have a vigorous ferment, bubbles were slow. I thought it had stalled so I checked a sample and 1.014! I expected it to finish fast but not 2 days fast. It makes sense with it being a small batch, and coupled with the fact it was low ABV beer. Still, I did not expect 2 days. Sharing my experience, CHEERS!

That's been my experience as well -- pretty much done within 48 hrs (depending on the yeast strain) for my 1.25 gal batches (as determined by FG samples and not airlock activity). However, I go ahead and leave it in the fermenter for at least 7-14 days before cold crashing and/or bottling.

Last edited:
It may be done but certainly would benefit from staying on the cake for another 2 weeks to clean up. This is what I do but I have one hell of a large keg pipeline so I am never in any real rush.

Is this a common thing for small batches? Is it common for 5 gallon batches? I’m only on my 2nd 5 gallon batch and this happened to me but because I’m new and don’t truly understand everything that’s going on it has me worried. My OG and FG are right on with the recommended numbers.

Is this a common thing for small batches? Is it common for 5 gallon batches? I’m only on my 2nd 5 gallon batch and this happened to me but because I’m new and don’t truly understand everything that’s going on it has me worried. My OG and FG are right on with the recommended numbers.

Sure, 5 gals can ferment in 3 days too. But, there are still phases the yeast has to go through, mainly a diacetyl clean up to eliminate any "butter" flavor and aroma.

A "Speed Brew" (BYO "Bonneville Flats") can be ready to drink in 7 days. Advertised as being "Brewed on Sunday and ready to drink next Saturday". I've done about a dozen of them. Only once did I have diacetyl in the keg. I had kegged on Wednesday. Too early. I simply purged in, brought it up to room temp and added 1/2 packet of re-hydrated Nottingham and it was cleared up by the following weekend. Now I don't keg until Thursday and they come out clean.

Sure, 5 gals can ferment in 3 days too. But, there are still phases the yeast has to go through, mainly a diacetyl clean up to eliminate any "butter" flavor and aroma.

A "Speed Brew" (BYO "Bonneville Flats") can be ready to drink in 7 days. Advertised as being "Brewed on Sunday and ready to drink next Saturday". I've done about a dozen of them. Only once did I have diacetyl in the keg. I had kegged on Wednesday. Too early. I simply purged in, brought it up to room temp and added 1/2 packet of re-hydrated Nottingham and it was cleared up by the following weekend. Now I don't keg until Thursday and they come out clean.

Thanks for the knowledge. I plan on leaving it for at least 3 weeks. I’m not in a big hurry, I still have plenty left from my first batch. I really enjoy this app because of people like you. Everyone is willing to share so much knowledge.

Back