One and only apple yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Doe

adrbrewer
Reaction score
Moving forward I want to use just one yeast (for now at least) for strong cider, cyser, and apple wine.
If you had to choose just one yourselves what would it be?
I'm thinking 71B?

You will have to choose what works best for you. Your source cider is different from my source cider. Don't be constrained by "Type" of yeast. I make a very nice mead with a "ale" yeast, and have used "lager" yeast in cider.
Honestly though, I wouldn't limit yourself to only one yeast.

EC-1118 leaves the most flavor for me but the yeasts from Wyeast and White labs are also good if you ferment cool. Matter of taste.

S04 is my fav at this point...

Cold crashes great...and leaves the right amount of sweetness & apple taste/aroma.

Cheers!

Basement typically is in the 63-68F range [emoji111]

Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead Yeast is my consummate choice; the stone fruit flavors it adds when fermented below 60*F are just fantastic.

Well you guys sure didn't make this any easier lol.
Thanks for taking the time and please keep them coming.

Well you guys sure didn't make this any easier lol.
Thanks for taking the time and please keep them coming.
Cider is like pizza -- they're both Awesome and there's Lotsa different ways to make em [emoji111] ~~and they go great Together!

Cheers & Good luck

Cider is like pizza -- they're both Awesome and there's Lotsa different ways to make em [emoji111] ~~and they go great Together!

Cheers & Good luck

There is only one way to make pizza. That thing they do in Chicago is an abomination.

EC-1118 leaves the most flavor for me but the yeasts from Wyeast and White labs are also good if you ferment cool. Matter of taste.

I think EC-1118 strips away too much flavor. Unless you can ferment cold & slow. I’m on the 71b-1122 bandwagon now. It handles malic acid well.

Moving forward I want to use just one yeast (for now at least) for strong cider, cyser, and apple wine.
If you had to choose just one yourselves what would it be?
I'm thinking 71B?

Choose your yeast like you would choose a tool, you don't use a screwdriver when the job calls for a hammer. For the things you mentioned, you'll need a wine yeast of some sort. 71-B will metabolize approx. 20% of the malic acid in your juice, thereby "softening" your apple wine/cider/cyser/etc...
Malic acid is 1 of the compounds that make an apple taste like an apple, not enough malic & your cider/wine could end up tasting more like a wet dishrag. Sometimes though, malic reduction is exactly what you want, say, in a crab apple cider where it's too acidic to taste good.

Some yeasts are better at lower temps than others, some yeasts are better for sweeter wines & some will ferment out dry as slate; it all depends on the recipe & what you want for an end product. I would never use a wine yeast to make cider, as wine yeasts tend to strip out a lot of flavor & will take juice dry without added sugar. I use ale yeast (usually Nottingham) for cider because it gives me the best end product. I use wine yeast for wine & cyser as ale yeast simply won't ferment out to a high enough ABV, as it's alcohol tolerance is much lower than wine yeast. Some yeast strains are better for some things than others, you probably wouldn't like a Chianti that was made with a Riesling yeast strain. Have a look at the different qualities & intended uses for various strains here:
http://www.lallemandbrewing.com/products/

Not sure of your location, but I would think there's a homebrew supply shop reasonably nearby, if not, you can always order yeast online. Obviously, it's up to you as to what strain(s) of yeast you use, but I'd say don't limit yourself to just 1 strain; one size doesn't fit all when it comes to yeast strains.
Regards, GF.

Lots of good answers here, but if the OP wants to go with one yeast for a while, I think 71-B is a decent choice for what he listed: Strong Cider, Cyser and Apple Wine.
Note to the OP though, everyone has different taste, with the apples/juice you can get, 71-B might not produce a something you like, maybe it will, you have to try it. Like others have said, its really best to try different things to see what works for you. Some of my best ciders didn't have any commercial yeast added.

Thanks for all the input. It's not that I'm looking for a one size fits all approach, but a base line. I've done Cider, Cyser, and Apple Wine recently using a few different yeasts. The problem I have is establishing some baseline to work forward from.
So for now I'm gonna start with 71-b for Apple wine and Cyser and Nottingham for stronger ciders?
For the Ciders I will be fermenting a gallon of cider juice with 1# of sugar until they reach the sweetness we prefer and then put in fridge-crash and drink.

Please critique.

Thanks for all the input. It's not that I'm looking for a one size fits all approach, but a base line. I've done Cider, Cyser, and Apple Wine recently using a few different yeasts. The problem I have is establishing some baseline to work forward from.
So for now I'm gonna start with 71-b for Apple wine and Cyser and Nottingham for stronger ciders?
For the Ciders I will be fermenting a gallon of cider juice with 1# of sugar until they reach the sweetness we prefer and then put in fridge-crash and drink.

Please critique.
My approach is to use FAJC to raise SG....as it also contributes to overall flavor...rather than just raising ABV.

Cheers & good luck!

Please critique.

Sounds like a good plan to me... so you plan on having still (non-carbonated) cider? I agree that without having a solid baseline, it's hard to try and evaluate 'variations'.

Sounds like a good plan to me... so you plan on having still (non-carbonated) cider? I agree that without having a solid baseline, it's hard to try and evaluate 'variations'.
Yes. I'm moving forward with 71B and will branch out from there in time. I just need to establish a baseline.
Thanks!

Please critique.

You might find the info in this thread useful:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/results-from-juice-yeast-and-sugar-experiments.83060/
Regards, GF.

S-04 at 55-65 deg. F. always went to 1.004 for me. But I always make a starter and use nutrients.

S-04 at 55-65 deg. F. always went to 1.004 for me. But I always make a starter and use nutrients.

Hmmm....I did use a bit of nutrient....but dry sprinkled the pack and it was a month or two past date....

I bumped the temp up to 67* and gave it a swirl. Will check it again in a few days.

Cote des Blancs. Always.

Was at Tandem Ciders near Traverse City over the weekend and chatted them up...including their cider-master --- currently they use Cote des Blancs for ALL their ciders! (they also use a centrifuge to help clear all their ciders) Their ciders are amazing!

www.tandemciders.com

Cheers!

Was at Tandem Ciders near Traverse City over the weekend and chatted them up...including their cider-master --- currently they use Cote des Blancs for ALL their ciders! (they also use a centrifuge to help clear all their ciders) Their ciders are amazing!

www.tandemciders.com

Cheers!

Any chance you get to see that centrifuge in action? Must be one expensive piece of equipment to spin the volume of cider they probably produce. Think it would be cool to see!

Any chance you get to see that centrifuge in action? Must be one expensive piece of equipment to spin the volume of cider they probably produce. Think it would be cool to see!
I wish! Unfortunately no facilities tours were being given that day. [emoji39]

Is that just to speed things up? Cuz my ciders are very clear after 3-6 mos. in the secondary.

Is that just to speed things up? Cuz my ciders are very clear after 3-6 mos. in the secondary.

Yeah has to be for speed, spinning in a centrifuge I would assume is the difference between months and hours. (Based on my limited knowledge and use of a small lab centrifuge for medical research)

Back