OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! As you read this im starting my first brew ever!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weyerfan

Reaction score
My equipment finally came and I ran out to pick up a few last minute items and im ready to rock. Im so nervous and excited. Its like the first time I had sex. A few last minute questions...Do I need to do anything to the kettle aside from a quick wash? Its stainless steel so I dont think it has to be oxidized? Is it cool to touch the starsan mixture after I dilute it with my skin or should I use gloves?

Quick wash should be fine...its about to be boiling for 60 minutes or so...

I reckon you're fine to touch the diluted starsan (heres hoping anyway, i do/have) that being said, it seems to really dry my skin...

No just make it clean. No the solution isn't that strong.

Now turn off the computer and pay attention to your brew. Enjoy your day.

You'll be fine with the Starsan mixture. It'll dry your hands out some but that's it.

Just wash your pot well and you'll be good to go.

My equipment finally came and I ran out to pick up a few last minute items and im ready to rock. Im so nervous and excited. Its like the first time I had sex.

Well, you probably have more prep time involved with the first brew, as compared to your first sexual experience. And for sure this will take more than 90 seconds, I'd plan on 3 hours at least. And for what's it's worth, 30 years later, I do not remember all the details of my first brew, other than it was good in the end.

That other thing.... I remember every detail.

Your good buddy let er buck

If you use soap to clean the pot make sure you really rinse it well. The soap can kill the head retention of the beer.

Oh and if you make a mistake

RDWHAHB

It's a learning experience

Th grains they are a steepin'....for the dude who asked im brewing Big River Brown Ale from Midwest. This is f'ing so fun. Its actually resembling beer now.

The first few brews do have a lot in common with .........that other thing. Its difficult to slow down and enjoy the moment and make sure to do everything right. I have just got into home brewing myself so Im not all that experienced with it but I know you dont have to sanitize the boil pot well , though it dont hurt anything. You should sanitize the heck out of everything else though , including your hands , but its not necessary to wear gloves. Dont rush it , dont take shortcuts , and follow the recipe.....then have lots of patience and it should turn out pretty good.

You should sanitize the heck out of everything , including your hands , but its not necessary to wear gloves. Dont rush it , dont take shortcuts , and follow the recipe.....then have lots of patience and it should turn out pretty good.

Well, that pretty much sums up my first sexual experience !

(Sorry, OhioChris stepped right into that one)

bahaha, nice post! Makes sense..especially the nervous days/weeks of anticipation of whether it all will turn out OK or if you F'ed up. ;)

Im constantly dipping my hands in the star san. When im finished with the brew session i wash my hands with dial, seems to help with the dry skin.

I do have the second fermenter ready just not the next recipe kit. Also, is it odd that im not getting any boil over? Did 3 1/2 gallons in a 5 gallon kettle and its not even close to boiling over? Is it the style of beer I did or am I just lucky? The thermometer reads 214 so its obviously boiling happily away.

Im constantly dipping my hands in the star san. When im finished with the brew session i wash my hands with dial, seems to help with the dry skin.

"Palmolive.... You're soaking in it"!

Hey Madge, this will date some people.

My first hydrometer reading was 1.42 but according to the recipe its supposed to be 1.44 is that a big deal? I just sipped the wort and im stoked. This was such a fun experience. Now its happily fermenting away. The clean up blows though.

I'm guessing you mean 1.042 & 1.044. That's pretty darn close and you shouldn't ever know the difference. That .002 may only equate to .2% lower ABV at most. Did you make sure to adjust for temperature after you took the reading? Since most hydrometers are calibrated to 60 degrees, a 1.042 reading in 80 degree wort would actually be 1.044.

It sounds like you're well on your way!

My first hydrometer reading was 1.42 but according to the recipe its supposed to be 1.44 is that a big deal? I just sipped the wort and im stoked. This was such a fun experience. Now its happily fermenting away. The clean up blows though.

What temperature was the wort at when you took the reading? temp will have an effect on the reading. .002 difference is not a big deal at all. now the hard part.... waiting. i'm bottling my first brew this weekend. longest 3 weeks i have ever had.

It was like 75 degrees or so according to the LCD thermo on the side of the fermenter. Looks like im ok then. You guys rule. Im seriously so happy right now I can do cartwheels. Im staring at my fermenter waiting for the first bubble. I may pee myself when it happens.

You might pee yourself before it happens if you wait for it. :D

It usually takes 24 - 72 hours before it's noticeable from dry yeast.

Good job on your first brew.

after reading these posts im thinkin about making a new thread called "Theres a first time for everything- Beer and Sex!"

whos in with me?

Would it be wise to quickly sneak a peek at my brew? Its bubbling away quite nicely and I really want to pop the top on the bucket and just say hi and see how its looking. Yay or nay?

So I couldnt just keep staring at my empty carboy so I decided to whip up a batch of Edworts Apfelwein just to get an idea of actually watching the fermentation process. My primary now is a bucket so its tough to watch without removing the top. Plus its gonna be fun to get drunk off that stuff. Im absolutely in love with this whole process. Thanks again for all the advice.

I was pretty amazed when i saw the yeast orgy in full swing in my glass carboy. very cool to watch.

Back