First ever brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLish830

Reaction score
Hello all, I just did my first ever brew. It was on a Grainfather G40. It was a red Irish ale from northern, should be ready just in time for St. Patty's. Very excited. Just a few questions.
1)G40 is an all in one. When I lifted the basket all the water drained out in 30 seconds. Everything I read said to keep the sparge water about an inch above the grains, that was impossible, the sparge water just ran through the grains. Any thoughts? Is that a problem?
2)I used a 10 gallon fermenter for 5 gallons of beer, is that too much head space, if not what is too much head space?
Thanks
G

Everything I read said to keep the sparge water about an inch above the grains, that was impossible, the sparge water just ran through the grains. Any thoughts? Is that a problem?

That applies to fly sparging. Sounds like you were doing a no sparge, full-volume BIAB (your basket taking the place of a bag). Not a problem at all. Did you get close to your intended volumes and gravities? More importantly, did you record all of them so you can adjust for the next brewday?

Is there a benefit to sparging vs no sparge. I put sprge water in an igloo, in hindsight it seems I could have just left all 7.5 gallons of water in the kettle. It would have been easier.

A well executed single batch/dunk sparge will gain ~8% mash efficiency. If you have the kettle volume and don't mind the extra few bucks in grain, no sparge makes the day a little more streamlined. I don't find the sparge to much of a bear, although I do it purely for the volume. If I had the kettle room, I'd skip it.

Well executed: 1st & 2nd runnings roughly equal. Grain bed well drained before the sparge. Grain bed fully broken up so the sparge water has full and free access to each grain particle.

Hello all, I just did my first ever brew. It was on a Grainfather G40. It was a red Irish ale from northern, should be ready just in time for St. Patty's. Very excited. Just a few questions.
1)G40 is an all in one. When I lifted the basket all the water drained out in 30 seconds. Everything I read said to keep the sparge water about an inch above the grains, that was impossible, the sparge water just ran through the grains. Any thoughts? Is that a problem?
2)I used a 10 gallon fermenter for 5 gallons of beer, is that too much head space, if not what is too much head space?
Thanks
G

I don't see any major problem with your technique. What you read about was for fly sparging and it doesn't apply to your setup. You could have gotten a little more of the sugars out by dunking the basket of grains into a bucket containing the sparge water but then you have one more bucket that needs cleaned. I'd skip that.

I regularly ferment 2 1/2 gallons in a 6 1/2 gallon bucket. That an even worse ratio than your 5 gallons in a 10 gallon fermenter. I have no problems with that. Take a look at the headspace that Sierra Nevada has.

39127DD9-9A8D-4BBF-B827-962FD72C3A12.jpeg

Back