OMG Another sellout, stop drinking Fat Tire?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscientist451

Reaction score
YUP, New Belgium selling out, so we can all quit drinking their beers and try the 7,000+ other breweries that are now in business and haven't disappointed their "supporters" by cashing out and selling to a mega multi-national.....

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/ne...gium-brewing-sale-beer-kirin-lion/4241569002/

'I kind of feel betrayed': New Belgium Brewing sale draws cheers and criticism from beer drinkers

YUP, New Belgium selling out, so we can all quit drinking their beers and try the 7,000+ other breweries that are now in business and haven't disappointed their "supporters" by cashing out and selling to a mega multi-national.....

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/ne...gium-brewing-sale-beer-kirin-lion/4241569002/

'I kind of feel betrayed': New Belgium Brewing sale draws cheers and criticism from beer drinkers

Complete non-sense. They took care of their employees as the company was 100% employee owned as of seven years ago. The interview in the article was five years old. Can't things change? Should they have sold to someone or some other group that were based in the US? Should they have sold at half the price they sold for? The person you quoted "Betrayed" needs to get a life. Hopefully, they will not need counseling....

If it pleases you, take your business elsewhere as if it will make a difference. To all the employees that benefited, CONGRATULATIONS! Amazing, this company has paid out close to 190 million dollars to its employees and former employees through ESOPs and retirement benefits and you criticize them for "selling out"?

Your disappointment doesn't compare to the good that this sale has provided. It doesn't compare to how this company treated their employees. Your disappointment only focuses on you. Some would say that is pretty selfish.

I wish the company, its employees and new owners well.

Last edited:
Stepping away from New Belgium is part of the natural order. Microbrew enthusiasts support start ups, starts ups become mainstream, and microbrew enthusiasts move on. Celebrating and supporting local microbrew startups is part of the subculture. I have so many choices in my local area that I rarely buy commercial mainstream beers anymore.

In fact, for an upcoming party, I’m hoping to get a keg filled for the first time from a local brewery.

Fat Tire wasn't available in Rhode Island until years after I had first heard the raves about it. When it finally became available I jumped on the chance to try it. I was extremely disappointed. Average at best.

The whole thing seems to be a great deal for the employees of the company.

These things happen. It makes no difference in the big picture. They may lose a few customers who are anti sell, but may gain a lot more with bigger company investment. If the sale fails the company, there are plenty of start up breweries to replace it.

Your disappointment doesn't compare to the good that this sale has provided. It doesn't compare to how this company treated their employees. Your disappointment only focuses on you. Some would say that is pretty selfish.

I'm not disappointed, my post was 100% sarcastic after seeing similar reactions to the "sell outs" like Wicked Weed, 10 Barrel, Ballast point, Goose Island, Norther Brewer and others.

I didn't realize how much beer profits have been distributed to employees at Fat Tire, and those numbers along with the crazy numbers that are being thrown around in the various sell outs reinforces my notion that craft beer prices have more than average profits built in and that there should be room for some price competition.
The fact that the craft beer market has almost zero price competition provides the appearance that there is wide spread price fixing going on.
The only thing I can do about that is keep on home brewing and avoid buying commercial beer as much as possible....ooops wait a second, I suppose that statement reveals that I'm selfish.
:drunk:

Personally, I thought Fat Tire wasn't good even though I was excited to try it.
I only get annoyed by companies like AB as it relates to a monopoly. Shortsightedness on this point caused by the shiny, short-term gains will have deleterious results in the long run.

Fat Tire was one of the first craft beers I ever had. It was at a bar in Boulder many years ago. We had almost no craft beer in GA, the Carolinas or FL at that time. It was great to have a beer that broke from the mainstream of light American adjunct lager. I had it later in a bottle and it was OK but not as good as the draft. Kudos to these folks for their part in launching a movement. Cheers.

images

This is the dumbest argument for abandoning a brand I've ever heard.
Do you like their beer? Keep drinking it (I personally can't stand Fat Tire, but that's me).

What it sounds like is that you're not so much interested in good beer, only beer that comes from a small independent brewery. Well guess what, many (most, IMHO) of the small, independent breweries that have popped up in the last 5 years make mediocre beer at best, and many make crap. SMall breweries do not equal good beer, and big breweries do not equal bad beer.

Hell, Budweiser may not be to your taste (it isn't to mine either), but there is no question that it is an extremely high-quality, enviously consistent commercial food product. By comparison, most micro and nano brew beer these days is oxidized crap.

So if you only drink beer from small, independent American breweries, have at it, but to advocate boycotting a business (and thereby advocating putting people out of work because you are now actively working toward putting that business OUT of business) because they got bought by "Big Evil Corporate Beer", is just being a dick.

Bottom line: small does not automatically equal "good", and big does not automatically equal bad.

I didn't realize how much beer profits have been distributed to employees at Fat Tire, and those numbers along with the crazy numbers that are being thrown around in the various sell outs reinforces my notion that craft beer prices have more than average profits built in and that there should be room for some price competition.

From an investor's perspective, a company that shares its profits with employees is guilty of redistributing wealth, employee-owned concerns being the worst offenders. Better to buy them out, even at a steep cost, and restore the flow of profits to where they belong.. in the pockets of wealthy investors. Squash the perception that there is any other way to run a business. Hooray for capitalism.

Regarding price competition, the price is based on what the market will bear.
$30 bottles of barrel aged stouts be damned, as long as there are hipsters willing to shell out for them it won't change.

I'm not disappointed, my post was 100% sarcastic after seeing similar reactions to the "sell outs" like Wicked Weed, 10 Barrel, Ballast point, Goose Island, Norther Brewer and others.

The fact that the craft beer market has almost zero price competition provides the appearance that there is wide spread price fixing going on.
The only thing I can do about that is keep on home brewing and avoid buying commercial beer as much as possible....ooops wait a second, I suppose that statement reveals that I'm selfish.
:drunk:

Your original post was 100% sarcastic you say? The title of your thread and your statement that followed does not indicate any sarcasm that a reader could detect. "YUP, New Belgium selling out, so we can all quit drinking their beers and try the 7,000+ other breweries that are now in business and haven't disappointed their "supporters" by cashing out and selling to a mega multi-national....." doesn't sound like sarcasm. Matter-of-fact, you went out of your way to bring up "7,000+ other breweries". Then you increased the font size and made it bold of the quote you posted...'I kind of feel betrayed': New Belgium Brewing sale draws cheers and criticism from beer drinkers". All in the name of being 100% sarcastic you say? I don't think so.

I have no idea about what your spin on beer profits, zero price competition and price fixing has to do with your original post. I don't see the connection between your two posts. Nor do I believe a reader could come to the same conclusion that you were really trying to comment about beer profits, zero price competition and price fixing with your first post.

In a world were there is negative news everyday, I believe New Belgium Brewing should be applauded and celebrated. They started in 1991 and grew their business in both good and bad times. They employed many and supported many vendors. Then, as is found in many articles, they became 100% employee owned seven years ago. Also, worth repeating, they took great care of their current and former employees with ESOPs and retirement plans....a total of 190 MILLION dollars paid to them. Their business model should be used as a template for other businesses to follow. I wish other businesses treated their employees as they did. Their story is refreshing to read and should be an inspiration. They shouldn't be mocked for "selling out"...even in a joking or sarcastic manner.

In the spirit of the season, Happy Holidays and Happy Brewing to you @madscientist451!

99% of the beer I drink is my own, so I don't have a horse in the race. I say congratulation to the folks at New Belgium, nothing wrong with being rewarded for putting in the effort.

Fat tire was one of the beers I used to drink before home brewing again, curious if anyone else tasted a little chocolate flavor from it too?

The ingredients listed on their web did not list chocolate malt for fat tire so I wonder if it from their yeast or possible a small amount of chocolate or roast malt for color correction.

99% of the beer I drink is my own, so I don't have a horse in the race.

^^^This is the answer. I've also noticed that I spend a lot less time bitching about the beer when I'm drinking my own brand.

Benefits of being your own favorite brewery:
-they always have what you want on tap. If not, complain to the head brewer himself
-the price is always exactly what you are in the mood to pay, no 'mug club' membership nonsense
-the beer ain't always the greatest but hey, pants are optional
-no arguing over the tv channel or the jukebox
-they have all your favorite board games and puzzles
-always a perfect pour, with as much or as little head as you want
-if you play your cards right with the bartender, you might get lucky
-no line for the toilet

Then you increased the font size and made it bold of the quote you posted...'I kind of feel betrayed': New Belgium Brewing sale draws cheers and criticism from beer drinkers". All in the name of being 100% sarcastic you say? I don't think so.

[/USER]!

I copied and pasted that "increased font size" from a story found on google.
It just showed up like that when I hit the paste button.
I guess I can use your analysis of my post to add "Good at being sarcastic that people on HBT can't detect" to my resume.
Disclaimer: The above sentence is intended to be sarcastic.
I'm guilty as charged with posting comments that are :off:.
I also plead guilty to being a sarcastic, opinionated A-hole. (sometimes)
I'll punish myself tonight by drinking any New Belgium beer I have in my collection. I think I have a bottle of La Folie and some old bottles of Pumpkick.
:bott:
To Code Section and all on HBT, merry Christmas and best wishes in the new year.

Last edited:
Bell's Amber!!!! I don't work there but i do pay part of their salaries! Others i make myself. Fat tire what?

What clouds the issue are the short term gains. There are positives but all factors need to be weighed.
If I do buy beer I'd rather not give it to mega-corporation--takes the fun out of it.

Back