Omega Voss Kveik first try and maybe something is wrong???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJL531

Soon to be exploring the US, one beer at a time
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Long story short, beer is an IPA with OG of 1.063. Pitched yeast at about 80 degrees and overnight indoor temp has dropped to 69. 15-16 hours after pitching I see no activity. A few bubbles around the glass, but by now I expected something more. Decided to put a heating pad on it and will see if that helps any. Not really sure how long it will take to warm 5 gallons of beer about 15 degrees.

Everyone says this yeast takes off like a rocket and I'm hoping this is just temp related. Ideas?

Glad you posted this. I’m helping a friend with his first batch of beer tomorrow. He’s going back to the very basics of homebrewing. I don’t necessarily trust his fermentation chamber. I told him to buy a pack of voss just as precaution. It’s cold outside here, getting into the low 40s at night. I wasn’t sure what the lower limits of Voss were. He’s hoping to leave it inside his small insulated freezer fermentation chamber and have it produce enough heat on its on to stay warm at night. Gets into maybe low 80s during the day.

Local homebrew group here says the liquid takes a bit to get going and the dry stuff fires up in like an hour or so.

I'm in South Louisiana and we are finally getting cooler nights. It was 55 at dawn, but will get to about 80 today and my place hangs between 70 and 75 in this weather. I usually leave my beer at my storage unit. it is a constant 74 degrees and it is always dark. It also helps that it is out of sight, out of mind there. This was just too heavy to try and transport last night and figured with a 5-7 day ferment, no need to park it in the dark for 2-3 weeks like most beers I make.

That yeast likes it warm. Keep it mid 80s heat from fermentation will take it the rest of the way. If you can make a Swamp cooler, but instead of ice put a small aquarium heater in. Inkbird has a round heating pad, though you’d likely be able to get the aquarium heater more quickly.

Well it finally kicked in. It was dead mid morning and by 2 pm it was doing its thing. I know, patience.

I used Mangrove Jack's - M12 Kviek Yeast (Voss Strain) fermented at 92F.... warm up with whatever method you have.

Back