Omega Pilsner Yeast Strains 1 and 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

414Shakes

Reaction score
Doing an experiment to see the differences between these two strains. Not sure if strain 1 is dead, or if it's just this color normally. Strain 2 looks like just about every other starter I've ever done and actually smells more pungent than strain 1.

Used 100 g Pils DME to 1 L water. used yeast nutrient and boiled for 10 min. Cooled to room temp and pitched. Both yeast packets were bought on the same day and stored next to each other in the fridge till I made the starter.

Has anybody ever had a starter look like this?

Omega.jpg

Well folks, this is what dead yeast looks like compared to healthy. ^^^^ Gravity measurements confirmed my suspicion.

Northern Brewer was great. They gave me a new smack pack and gave me a discount on a second one. I ended up going with Wyeast 2278 Czech Pils instead of another Omega Pils 1. So it looks like my experiment will be between Omega Pils 2 and The Wyeast 2278. According to Omega's website, their Pils 2 is comparable to that strain from Wyeast so it should be a good match/comparison.

Back