Omega Jovaru experience. Super high attenuation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mybuddypete

Reaction score
This is my first experience with this yeast and searching the web returned very little information about this specific yeast and also nothing about attenuation regarding other Lithuanian farmhouse yeasts. The only thing I can reliably go by is various "landrace/kveik" yeasts and nothing seems to address high attenuation.

I brewed this [RECIPE AT BOTTOM OF THIS POST]

Yeast was pitched at 100F and fermentation took off quickly and I allowed the beer to drop to 90F where it continued aggressively for two and half days. I kept the temp at 90F and kegging today 7 days after pitch.

The taste is wonderful. Citrus, sweet, has a nice mild zing to it. No detectable off flavors or phenols. There's almost zero hops bitterness which I am not surprised with.

The major issue: 95% attenuation. Omega's website says to expect 80-85%
My OG: 1.051
My FG: 1.003

Anyone have any experience with this.

Obviously, RDWHAHB, I know (homebrewer since 1997), but I was just hoping for some feedback on this.

Future Homebrew Talk Forum readers: do not be afraid to resurrect this thread in the future years.

[RECIPE]
Title: Lithuanian Farmhouse Ale
Author: Tom J

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name:
Boil Time: 0 min
Batch Size: 6 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.051
Efficiency: 63% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 5.19%
IBU (tinseth): 33.71
SRM (morey): 7.39

FERMENTABLES:
12.5 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (97.1%)
6 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (2.9%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 33.71

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 158 F, Time: 80 min, Amount: 7 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 4 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
10 g - Calcium Chloride, Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
2 g - Gypsum, Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash

YEAST:
Omega Yeast Labs - Voss Kveik OYL-061
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (custom): 83%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 68 - 98 F
Fermentation Temp: 85 F
Pitch Rate: 0.5 (M cells / ml / deg P)

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Balanced Profile
Ca2: 80
Mg2: 5
Na: 25
Cl: 75
SO4: 80
HCO3: 100
Water Notes:

NOTES:
Hops boiled for 30 minutes in 1qt water on the stove and added to mash half way through.

No sparge.

This recipe has been published online at:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/742787/lithuanian-famrhouse-ale

Generated by Brewer's Friend - https://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2018-12-11 20:45 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2018-12-05 20:42 UTC

Well apparently my research was insufficient. I found this article about the woman who shared her yeast with Omega and some people measured her ale at 1.0025

"Canadian homebrewers tasting it found they couldn't agree on whether it was sweet or not, so in the end they measured the final gravity (FG) with a hydrometer, and got 1002.5, which means there's basically no sugar."

And the sweet taste I am getting from the sample is possibly proteins?

There are still residual sugars (dextrins), glycerol, acids, minerals, and other compounds.

94% is the apparent attenuation, not the true attenuation. Apparent attenuation doesn't account for the effect of alcohol lowering the density of the FG.

For example, in your beer if the alcohol were replaced with water the density would be 1.012.

Hope this makes sense.

There are still residual sugars (dextrins), glycerol, acids, minerals, and other compounds.

94% is the apparent attenuation, not the true attenuation. Apparent attenuation doesn't account for the effect of alcohol lowering the density of the FG.

For example, in your beer if the alcohol were replaced with water the density would be 1.012.

Hope this makes sense.
Is True Attenuation what most brewing software calculates? I had always assumed it was Apparent Attenuation.

Previously (for about the last 20 years) I've always been within a couple digits of what brewing software, and what my own math before I used software, predicted for Final Gravity.

A residual sweet flavor is a known attribute of that strain. I don't see anything wrong with hitting attenuation above what the yeast manufacturer suggests is probable, especially given that you fermented on the hot side of its preferred range. It could easily be explained by warm fermentation plus a healthy wort.

Software calculates apparent attenuation.

I was just pointing out that even at 100% apparent attenuation, there are still sugars remaining that add sweetness.

Since it tastes "wonderful" I don't think there's anything to worry about :)

I recently bottled a beer using this yeast. It got down to 1.001 from 1.042, but I also mashed around 148F. I'm interested in others experience with this yeast. I'll provide an update once the bottles have conditioned for a while.

I'm really itching to try this yeast. It's been sitting in my fridge for a while now. Super attenuator? Good! I do love me some dry brews...

What we don't take into account is how different yeasts produce a lot of compounds, and we don't always perceive them the same as other people. Are there still dextrins in the beer? Yes, but dextrins don't really taste like anything. I'd wager that this either produces a lot of glycerol or it produces things that we don't analyze for that change our perception of body.

I used Jovaru in a low-gravity beer (1.042) hopped with Saaz and Motueka, and it turned out really nice. The hops compliment the yeast very well. To me this yeast is a bit more interesting than wy3711, but it's been so long since I've brewed with French Saison that maybe I shouldn't make such a statement. I bottled a large portion of this batch with a brett strain.

I used Jovaru in a low-gravity beer (1.042) hopped with Saaz and Motueka, and it turned out really nice. The hops compliment the yeast very well. To me this yeast is a bit more interesting than wy3711, but it's been so long since I've brewed with French Saison that maybe I shouldn't make such a statement. I bottled a large portion of this batch with a brett strain.

Care to share your recipe? Sounds like something I'd be interested in, and I just happen to have a half pound of Motueka lying around. Also, Wild Mind Ales in Minneapolis has a beer they do with Saaz/Motueka - they call it Mother & Daughter Reunion Saison. They didn't have it last time I was there, otherwise I'd have definitely tried it.

Care to share your recipe? Sounds like something I'd be interested in, and I just happen to have a half pound of Motueka lying around. Also, Wild Mind Ales in Minneapolis has a beer they do with Saaz/Motueka - they call it Mother & Daughter Reunion Saison. They didn't have it last time I was there, otherwise I'd have definitely tried it.
70% 2-row, 17% Vienna and 13% flaked wheat.
OG: 1.042 FG: 1.001 IBU: 34(Tinseth)
I mashed at 148F, and I only boiled for 30 minutes. I added enough Horizon at the beginning of the boil to get 30 IBUs. I collect 4 gallons and boil it down to 3.5 gallons. I added 0.5 oz each of Motueka and Saaz with 5 minutes left and then 0.75 ounce Motueka and 0.25 ounce Saaz at flame-out. I don't think I did a hop stand.
I pitched the yeast at around 82F, and I put a brew belt on it the next morning. I dry-hopped with 0.25 oz of each hop when fermentation had begun to slow down. I pretty much kept this one around 84F the whole time, but I'm going to change that next time. I think I might still pitch at the same temp, but I want to forgo the brew belt to see how the yeast behaves sitting at 68-70F ambient.

I brewed with Omega Jovaru:

70% Weyermann Pilsner
30% Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner
MASH: 65C/149F for 65 minutes
BOIL: 90 minutes
25 gr Mandarina Bavaria BBC at 30 minutes
25 gr Mandarina Bavaria BBC at 1 minute left in the boil
25 gr Motueka at 1 minute left in the boil
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.005
IBU: 25
ABV: 5.9% for 90% apparent attenuation
Mash water profile: Ca: 50 ppm / Mg: 3 ppm / Na: 3 / Cl: 25 ppm / Sulfate: 75 ppm ppm ( I added Brewtan B to both the mash and boil + 5 gr Irish Moss at 10 minutes left in the boil )

I brewed this on June 15th and bottled on July 1st, due to busy schedule. I cooled the wort and pitched at 77F, letting the beer ferment in my house, without any blankets or additional warming up. Sticker thermometer showed 83F at peak fermentation ( fairly aggressive ), which means the temperature inside the fermenter was probably around 88-89F. Presently carbing at 2.85 vol. CO2 and conditioning in heavy, belgian 330 ml ( thicker version of Vichy type bottle ). Pictures will be added later today with the beer in the glass ( already carbed up ).

Last edited:
Picture taken today at 5 days in the bottle:
20190706_150559.jpg

Aroma is pretty belgian: lemon pith, lemon rind, some spicy notes, maybe a touch of subtle phenolics. Flavour is very citrussy, fresh, dry, crisp, good bitterness, soft body and mouthfeel. Very good.

Howd the brett bottled portion come out? I have Jovaru and All the Bretts on the way.....

Howd the brett bottled portion come out? I have Jovaru and All the Bretts on the way.....

It turned out really nicely, although the brett strain (TYB 307) took over a bit more quickly than I had anticipated, and it didn't change much over 8 months or so. It wasn't very complex, but it was enjoyable and refreshing. It seems like a beer with All the Bretts might change quite a bit over time, so that could be nice. With these kind of beers, I'm always torn between drinking them earlier when you can get the primary yeast and the brett or aging them longer. What hops are you going to use?

It turned out really nicely, although the brett strain (TYB 307) took over a bit more quickly than I had anticipated, and it didn't change much over 8 months or so. It wasn't very complex, but it was enjoyable and refreshing. It seems like a beer with All the Bretts might change quite a bit over time, so that could be nice. With these kind of beers, I'm always torn between drinking them earlier when you can get the primary yeast and the brett or aging them longer. What hops are you going to use?

Havent decided.

Thinking of doing either a Bam Bier inspired recipe or a simple belgian blond type beer to start.

I have a lot of hops so open to suggestions. I kind of want to do something like styrian goldings in the blond to see how it pairs with yeast. That oughta be different enough to let me know which flavors are yeast vs hop derived.

Eventually going to do 15 gal of something light to go into one of my bbls. I have 15 gal of sour beer that needs to be removed and blended.

White ipa w brett also sounds tempting.

So many options.......

Havent decided.

Thinking of doing either a Bam Bier inspired recipe or a simple belgian blond type beer to start.

I have a lot of hops so open to suggestions. I kind of want to do something like styrian goldings in the blond to see how it pairs with yeast. That oughta be different enough to let me know which flavors are yeast vs hop derived.

Eventually going to do 15 gal of something light to go into one of my bbls. I have 15 gal of sour beer that needs to be removed and blended.

White ipa w brett also sounds tempting.

So many options.......
What did you end up brewing with this yeast?

Nothing yet. Brewed up an ipa w Hornindal and a Saison with Saisonstein. Still on the list. Been too dang busy.

Finally built up a starter w/ my older smack pack and brewed a white ipa. Fermed at 82-84F several days and let cool slowly. Dry hopped tonight. Sample tasted great w citrus and pepper - wit like. SG was at 1.010 and 1.016 for split batch. Guessing one carboy got more yeast. Higher one kept bubbling. Will crash cool in 5-7?days then keg.

some sort of farmhouse beer will be next. Hopefully not 7 months from now!

Finally built up a starter w/ my older smack pack and brewed a white ipa. Fermed at 82-84F several days and let cool slowly. Dry hopped tonight. Sample tasted great w citrus and pepper - wit like. SG was at 1.010 and 1.016 for split batch. Guessing one carboy got more yeast. Higher one kept bubbling. Will crash cool in 5-7?days then keg.

some sort of farmhouse beer will be next. Hopefully not 7 months from now!
I'd like to here how that turns out since I've been wondering how it plays with American hops. I just brewed a farmhouse beer with it a couple weeks ago. I added chanterelle mushrooms at several points in the boil along with a big whirlpool addition. That's how Scratch Brewing does it. I just bottled it a couple days ago, and it was pretty interesting. We'll see how it is once it's carbed up.

Pretty happy w the yeast overall. It has less aroma than i would expect so it seems its one of those yeasts that mutes the hops.
tastes great. Im thinking it could be great for farmhouse and other citrus style beers like a grapefruit wit or sour etc. I shoulda brewed a more neutral beer to really see the hop character but thats not what I want to drink really. Still green but it oughta be settling in. Will have to pull a pint this weekend.

I just got my hands on this one.

Interestingly, I just kegged a wit-IPA with 3522 that I split during the boil before late hops, orange zest, and coriander and fermented the other half with hornindal. A brew club buddy gave me this strain in trade for the hornindal, so we'll both get to play around more.

I'm in Rio Rancho, btw.

This yeast is crazy. I brewed with it for the first time on 5/6/21. Chilled to mid 80's, pitched and set my temp controller to 82F.

On Day 5 I dry-hopped with cashmere and motueka and took a gravity reading, I was already at 1.004--apparent attenuation of 91.3%, at this point I turned off my controller and let it ride to my basement temp of 67F--figuring fermentation was more or less done (expected FG was 1.007).

It's now Day 11, and my airlock still has occasional activity, took another gravity ready and it's at 1.001 for apparent attentuation of 97.8%.

Hydrometer sample was delicious so I'm gonna call it done and get it into a keg. Just wanted to post my experience for anyone else looking for more info on this strain.

Since using kveik yeasts I've tried 7 or 8 strains or so, and Jovaru was the most agressive by far. I always make a starter with the flakes I receive and dry them, so I will have yeast for later batches. Jovaru took exactly 38 minutes to kick off in the starter and finished it till the next morning.

I used my self dried Jovaru in Omega's Jovaru Witbier recipe and it was a homerun, definitely recommend that recipe!

Recently made a "witbier" with Jovaru

57% pale malt
43% flaked wheat
10g warrior @FWH
Pitched a single pack of Jovaru @80°F
OG: 1.046

Bottled on day 5
Carbed to 3.6 vols

Honestly came out great. Might pitch a little higher to get more esters but otherwise tasty beer.

I used Jovaru for the first time on 6/12. Roughly, 56 hours later, it went from 1.072 to 1.008. I pressurized to 30 psi when gravity hit 1.030. I fermented at 92. Looking forward to tasting it.

I'll be using this yeast next week. Split batch 1/2 with Jov half lager yeast. Very excited for this yeast...been waiting for the warmer weather to give this one a shot.

I used Jovaru for the first time on 6/12. Roughly, 56 hours later, it went from 1.072 to 1.008. I pressurized to 30 psi when gravity hit 1.030. I fermented at 92. Looking forward to tasting it.
Looks about done at 1.005. Highly attenuated! Should be near or fully carbonated, too.

Looks about done at 1.005. Highly attenuated! Should be near or fully carbonated, too.
Actually eeked out another point. 1.004. Time to cold crash. Damn, I got a 9% brew from 14.25 pounds of grain! Hopefully, it's not rocket fuel!

Sounds interesting, would be good for a brut ipa or my recent fitbits clone as that only hit 1.005 and that was with enzyme and opshaug kveik.

Recently made a "witbier" with Jovaru

57% pale malt
43% flaked wheat
10g warrior @FWH
Pitched a single pack of Jovaru @80°F
OG: 1.046

Bottled on day 5
Carbed to 3.6 vols

Honestly came out great. Might pitch a little higher to get more esters but otherwise tasty beer.

Might get more esters by only using half a packet or less.

Does the yeast dry and rework well?
The opshaug has been great for reusing the dried yeast from my first batch.

Actually eeked out another point. 1.004. Time to cold crash. Damn, I got a 9% brew from 14.25 pounds of grain! Hopefully, it's not rocket fuel!

Drinking now. Quite good!

On tap now. Quite good! Cleaner than i thought it would be.

This sounds like a good yeast to make a golden strong with.
Originally, I named my beer made with Jovaru, Lithuanian Farmhouse Ale. Actually, Lithuanian Golden Strong Ale is more apt. Nice and clear 9% monster that looks like a pils.

Beer is much clearer than pic. The Charleston humidity is clouding my pics!

Last edited:
Following this thread with keen interest. I visited Jovaru brewery in Lithuania a week ago, and left with a 35L keg of their wonderful stuff and a precious little jar of bubbly yeast. I'm looking for recipe ideas, beyond trying to replicate the raw/no boil kaimiskas alus style.

I have a small batch smoked and oaked porter on the go with opshaug. Pitched 48 hours ago into 1.077 and now at 1.018, hope it stops soon. Just building up some pressure on it now so that it starts to carb up before I move it to the brew cellar to sit in about 10 celsius for a couple of weeks with some Oak in the keg.
Will be an interesting comparison to the full batch done with a resuscitated WLP1983 ( Charlies fist bump lager yeast) that was 16 months past it's use by date.
That started at 1081 12 hours earlier with a big starter and it's at 1.051 but at 13 celsius.

Time will tell.

I've planted some juniper berries and hoping they will germinate as not much juniper bush in the wild down here for a crack at a Viking ale.

How did your guys jovaru smell when opening the package?

Mine smelled a bit off.... Pitched it anyway, without a starter and the best by date was also one or two months ago.... And I forgot to bring it up to room temperature as well....

Man ..... Don't drink that Chinese rice wine when brewing. Trust me on this one :D

Pitched yesterday night, now about twelve hours later no bubbles. I wait one more day before I start to panic.

Btw. I also managed to forget to hack in the custom efficiency when designing the recipe, so I calculated for 70%, but I actually have 82%. So my beer will be stronger. Luckily I also miscalculated the hops, which resulted in 7 Ibus more which should do well with the higher og, so bitterness should be spot on.

What a chaotic night.

Last edited:
Back