Omega Bayern Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience using Omega Bayern yeast in an Oktoberfest? My local homebrew show was out of any and all Oktoberfest yeast so I saw this and figured I might give it a try in an upcoming Oktoberfest brew. Having second thoughts though now. Any input would be appreciated.

Bayern is the Augustiner strain. It’s one of the most popular lager strains for craft breweries in the US. Ferments better a little warmer than most.

Same as wyeast 2352-PC, Imperial Harvest, etc...

A lot of people love this yeast. Will make a fine Oktoberfest.

Personally I can’t get it to work. No clue why.

Anyone have any experience using Omega Bayern yeast in an Oktoberfest? My local homebrew show was out of any and all Oktoberfest yeast so I saw this and figured I might give it a try in an upcoming Oktoberfest brew. Having second thoughts though now. Any input would be appreciated.

This strain is my go to for lagers. It has made a fine Oktoberfest, German Pils, and Vienna Lager in my household. I personally felt it really made the richness of the Munich and Vienna malts pop in my Oktoberfest. Your mileage may vary but I feel it is a popular strain for good reason.

I prefer it to the ubiquitous 34/70 strain, but I have found it to be less forgiving than 34/70. I achieved my best results fermenting at 57 degF with the Omega Bayern, but it has tolerated up to 68 degF no problem. I plan to restock on that yeast when practical now that I have figured out my cooling setup.

Curious to know what you mean. Just can’t get a beer to ferment right using this yeast or nothing tastes right? Thanks for your input.

I don’t know. I make quite a few lagers.. like maybe 12 so far this year. Prolly over 50 the last 3-4 years. I’d like to think I do all the steps to make lager the traditional way. Step mash/decoct, meticulous attention to water chemistry, pH throughout the whole process, huge pitch rates, o2 injection with a stone and flow meter, precise temperature control. Pitch cold, ferment cold, krausen, spund, long lagering, etc.

The beers I’ve made with that strain have all been the worst. I’ve used just about everything else and literally every other lager strain has produced much better beers. For some reason I just can’t figure out they just suck. I get lots of sulfur yet it supposed to be a low sulfur strain? Never had diacetyl but odd esters that don’t lager out. It’s hard to explain.

The thing is it’s supposed to be one of the easiest strains to use. It’s advertised as low sulfur, low diacetyl, low ester at even moderate temps. Super forgiving. A ton of breweries use it for that reason. Supposedly you can mistreat it pretty badly and it still will turn out great beer. I know a ton of people that use it and can make decent beer.

I’ve had much better luck with some of the most finicky lager strains which makes no sense.

Back