Olympia, Washington. Nevermind the water it's the Apples for me...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldtimeydave

Reaction score
So I'd better make my introductions too. My name is Dave, I live in Olympia Washington. I started out an assistant home brewer, moved my way up to a home brewer and after a small break from it all gave the beer making up for cider.

I've been making ciders now for about 5 or so years, however this is the year I'll finally live up to my own expectations... I hope. I guess I'll probably be saying that for the rest of my life.

I started out using fresh pressed juice from a local source and last year gave all that up for pressing my own. This year I am fermenting all single varietals and will most likely do some major blending after a good spell of aging. I'm most likely going to bottle a few single varietals as well. I don't own an orchard yet but the free apples have been abundant with a little hard work and "hustling". I'll also be purchasing a large amount cider apple varieties in the next week or so to amend and compliment my standard and vintage/heirloom apple varieties.

I have a blog (doesn't everyone?) about traditional cider and cider makers. I believe that the craft beer market has arguably peaked and that traditional cider's time to return is just around the corner. Cider may not ever be more popular than beer again but I suspect we can steal some of those micro-brewed beer market percentage points, not to mention the mass produced sugary sweet cider garbage folks currently think of as cider.

Also I'll add that "Cider" is a fermented beverage everywhere else in the World other than here in the States. I like to evangelize the fact apple juice no matter how cloudy or where it came from is not cider, and we should end our bastardization of the word cider.

Drop me a line or add me fellow cider folk!

----------------
Listening to: Bill Monroe & the Bluegrass Boys - Footprints In The Snow
via FoxyTunes

----------------
Listening to: Bill Monroe & the Bluegrass Boys - Footprints In The Snow
via FoxyTunes

Also I'll add that "Cider" is a fermented beverage everywhere else in the World other than here in the States. I like to evangelize the fact apple juice no matter how cloudy or where it came from is not cider, and we should end our bastardization of the word cider.

----------------

Ok you had me up untill this point.... Welcome to the forum, Please explain

I got it! He was saying that in the rest of the world (other than the US) cider is what you call fermented apple juice. In the us, cider is what they call non-alcoholic apple juice that hasn't been filtered, and is therfore cloudy.

Right... As I've read and heard it during prohibition the term cider began being used for juice. I guess Prohibition messed up more than just beer making. eh?

Back