Older Wyeast Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thirstypanda

Reaction score
I got a smoking deal on a pack of Wyeast Belgian Witbier 3944 (50% off). The harvest date was Nov. 16, 2017 so that's only 3 months old. According to the Brewer's Friend calculator it has about a 29% viability.

Anyway, I put it in a 1L 1.040 DME slurry with the packet at room temp and left it overnight. There was a bit of activity but after reading and watching way too much internet stuff I used the rest of my DME and added another 750ml to the starter. I've been hand stirring the growler avery once in a while.

Apparently the yeast REALLY likes this because the S valve is bubbling up quite nicely, there is a plump layer of krausen and I'm seeing a reasonable layer in the bottom of my 64oz growler (that's all I have... gotta get me a vile).

So the question is... considering that this is quite active and I'm impatient, should I be able to stick the growler in the fridge now to settle the yeast and then get brewing? I'm doing up a simple Wit at about 1.029 OG.

Good you got the yeast to go. Try a 1 liter 1.020 starter wort the next time this comes up with old yeast. Lot less osmotic pressure on the cell walls with a lower SG wort. Even though it is looking good let it ferment out completely before crashing to pitch. You'll have more healthy yeast cells to pitch into your new wort.

1.029 witbeir?

Good you got the yeast to go. Try a 1 liter 1.020 starter wort the next time this comes up with old yeast. Lot less osmotic pressure on the cell walls with a lower SG wort. Even though it is looking good let it ferment out completely before crashing to pitch. You'll have more healthy yeast cells to pitch into your new wort.

1.029 witbeir?
Thanks for the advice. Most videos on starters are using healthy yeast.

Very light wit (~ 3% ABV). At least that's what my Brewer's Friend is telling me I'll end up with. Even though I BIAB, I do a bit of a sparge to get as much efficiency as possible and I got a super tight grind on my grains so I'm thinking it may be higher... which is okay too.

OK...... So when you type in 35% efficiency instead of 75% efficiency you're going to get the wrong ABV.... 5.81%. Going to be higher as I got 1.061 OG instead of 1.058 after entering the correct efficiency. OY!

Last edited:
Back