old wlp830

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussie brewer

Reaction score
Hi brewers, i have some wlp830 which is a year out of date,what would be the best method for a starter? i am planning on making a 24L batch of a german pilsner. Cheers!

That is going to require a few steps.

250 ml starter with 12 g DME.
500 ml water with 50 g DME
1 l water with 100 g DME.

Wait till you see activity stop before going to the next step. If you don't see activity after the first step, hope is not lost. Repeat the first step. It could take up to a week to wake up yeast that old. Though it's not customary for there to be that much of a delay. I've brought back to life yeast I've had in the refrigerator for 18 months or more by going right to the second step and waiting it out for a week.

After the third step you can do your normal starter to prepare for your brew day.

Wait till you see activity stop before going to the next step. If you don't see activity after the first step, hope is not lost. Repeat the first step. It could take up to a week to wake up yeast that old. Though it's not customary for there to be that much of a delay. I've brought back to life yeast I've had in the refrigerator for 18 months or more by going right to the second step and waiting it out for a week.

After the third step you can do your normal starter to prepare for your brew day.
Why the lower gravity first step?

Why the lower gravity first step?

I've always understood that starting with a lower gravity first step gives the yeast a better chance of starting.

Q: If I'm making a high gravity beer, shouldn't I make a high gravity starter so the yeast become acclimated?

No. In general, starter wort should be between 1.030 and 1.040 (7 - 10°P). If you're trying to revive a stressed yeast, like culturing up yeast from a bottle conditioned beer or from an old slant, use a lower gravity starter wort around 1.020 (5°P). Lower gravity starters are easier on the yeast, but result in less growth. High gravity starters result in more growth, but are more stressful for the yeast. Exceeding the higher end of the range is stressful on the yeast and should be avoided.

personally I like the first step, but the subsequent steps are too incremental of an increase in size and may stress yeast. 250ml to 1 liter to 4 liter is what I'd do

Back