Old, uncleaned Better Bottle. Bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trail

Oh great, it's that guy again.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Close to three years ago I ordered a Better Bottle. I did a single batch in it, which came out awesome... just as I was preparing to move house. Having packed my sanitation equipment, I did the next best thing: splashed some water in to keep it from crusting, stuck the bung on, wrapped Saran Wrap over the bung to keep it airtight, and threw the bottle in the U-Haul. After the move I misplaced it, never to be seen again.

Until now, that is. I found the bottle in my barn in some boxes. In the past two years, the saran wrap came off and the gunk inside dried out. It's crusty and brown.

So here's my question. Is it safe to use if I drop in some PBW and soak it for a few days? Since it's plastic I'm worried there might be some nooks and crannies the bugs could hide in with a three-year period to work...

I think I would see how clean it gets. If you can clean it enough that there is no visible residue, you can probably sanitize it properly.

No problem. You should be able to get it sparkling clean again.

However, I will say that after switching from better bottles to bigmouth bubblers, cleaning is SO much easier. Check out the fermonster too.

I've heard good things. Are the diameters similar? I have less than a quarter inch clearance on my fermfridge with the better bottle.

And then there's part of me that just wants to go conical and never look back!

I've heard good things. Are the diameters similar? I have less than a quarter inch clearance on my fermfridge with the better bottle.

And then there's part of me that just wants to go conical and never look back!

I think the BMB might be a little thinner in diameter, but taller. I have the 6.5g BMB (6 of them in fact).

Back