Old LME Kit- to brew or not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drinks3point2

Reaction score
The friend I got my equipment from gave me an old kit still sealed up in the packaging. I know that I run the risk of it not being as good as it could be but...
Wondering if you have used an old kit with new yeast and hops and what were your results?

DME or LME? Any grains in the kit? And just how old is it?

LME per the thread title, which works against you.

I've seen this question asked for kits that were 10 years old. Even then, some people say, sure, what have you got to lose? Others (like me) would toss it. I'm less limited by money than time (both brewing and drinking) so wouldn't bother.

I'm not sure exactly how old the kit is. I do know that it's over 1 year. The kit has been sealed in a plastic bag until now. I wanted to keep it sealed up until I figured out what to do with it but I decided to see if I could find a date on any of the ingredients. In doing this I realized that it's a bock and needs to be fermented at 48-58º. Unfortunately I don't have the means to ferment at that low of a temp. My basement is a constant 72º. Anybody have any thoughts on what I might do with the following ingredients?

8oz munich, 4oz crystal 120, 4oz caramunich (all mixed in the same bag)
9 lbs german pils LME
2oz Hallertauer hops

Thanks again everybody

If the grains were crushed, they're not good anymore. If they were not crushed they might be fine. I'm not sure how long uncrushed grain lasts but I imagine if they were kept cool and dry and away from bugs my guess is that they could last a really really long time - if moisture got in or if they've been baking in a hot shed or something, then maybe they're not so good anymore. The LME might also be suffering from age - it's best to get it fresh but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. The hops are gone.

I understand that the LME is going to be less than it could be at best but since I didn't pay for it, I should use it if possible. I was hoping to make a batch of beer for half price and get lucky enough for it to actually taste good.

Any ale recipe suggestions that use german pils LME?

Back