Old LME in starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammy71

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know i shouldn't use old LME in my brews...but what about a starter. I'm gonna be making a wheat beer and instead of buying some wheat DME for the starter... I found half a jug of wheat LME that's been in my fridge since the spring...(I think it was from my last extract brew...gone all AG since...). Can I use it or just chuck it? Seems a waste....so what if my starter taste stale...will the yeast care and I'll be sure to decant the wort before pitching....

To be honest I used a 3 YO Light LME in my first batch when I start brewing again in Aug. There was a bit of mold growing on the top of it that I just scrapped off, and it turned more of a dark LME. The brew came out fantastic. I would warn using as a starter if you have a science project going on. If you use it in a boil it will be ok.

just my .02

I can't think of a reason not to. Boil it and make sure there is no mold. I would suggest to make the starter far enough ahead so you can stick it in the fridge and decant as much of the liquid as you possibly can.

I can't think of a reason not to. Boil it and make sure there is no mold. I would suggest to make the starter far enough ahead so you can stick it in the fridge and decant as much of the liquid as you possibly can.

I think that's what I'm gonna do. I remember it cost me a ton so I opened the container..(it's the 8.8 lb of Weyermann Bavarian Hefeweizen with 5 lbs left in it)..and it looked fine...no mold or anything. Just figured since I'm gonna be making a Hefe next this was the way to go for a starter since I'm not going to use it for anything else...

Thanks

Back