Old-ish CO2 bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altenmuenster

Reaction score
So, I picked up a 10# CO2 bottle used on CL today (actually it was right by my wife's work so I sent her to do my dirty work) -- the bottle obviously is going to need to be tested, but it is currently holding gas. I paid $25, so it's not the end of the world if I got ripped off.

I called the local Gas shop and they said, just bring it in and pay a $20 test fee, plus gas and they will send me home with an exchange tank.

So, upon getting the tank, I immediately notice a label on the front that says Property of XYZ company. Do you think there is any chance that I will be able to get this bottle tested or filled? I dunno if there is some kind of aftermarket or whatever on these tanks, or if these tanks just "fell off the back of a truck" or something.

Anybody here with experience in this?

Shouldn't be a problem, typically a steel 10# tank is a steel 10# tank.

I exchange at Airgas...had two tanks (one out of date)...walked in left them on the floor near the front desk and asked for an exchange, walked out with two full tanks, no questions asked.

They might get cranky if another vendor's sticker is on it...just peal it off...they fall off all the time and should be no big deal.

Even if it looks like it has seen better days? I am admittedly a complete noob when it comes to CO2 tanks -- for all I know they will be giving me one that looks crappier when I exchange!

Back