Old hops ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

actech

Reaction score
I have some falconer flight, norther brewer, unopened refrigerated. Couple years old. Think they will work for anything ? On another note. I picked up cryo hops. Cascade at over 12%alpha. whats best way to use these “new to me” style hops?

My guess is the unopened hops will be OK, but may less flavor or bitterness than when fresher. I find smell is a good indicatior if hops still have flavor.

If they were frozen then they would be fine. Refrigerated probably has some loss. Open the hops and check them. If they smell good use them up. You could throw the old hops in at 15 minutes and use the cascade in the whirlpool and dry hop.

Unless they are very obviously defective, such as odd smelling and dark brown, they are fine. Use them and worry about other things. Plenty of other things to worry about. Like brain eating microbes. Those, you may want to stand up and take notice. Questionable hops, well, kind of low on the totem pole.

Back