Old crushed grains: use 'em?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beersurgeon

Reaction score
Bought an extract kit 6 months ago but got busy and put off brewing it. It's the Midwest irish stout kit and it comes with a bag of grain for steeping.
I forgot that i had gotten the grains crushed because i had planned on brewing much sooner.

Should i still use them or chuck 'em?

That's your call. Fresher will always be better, however I think they'll be fine. Beer kits at LBHS's are sometimes a few years old or more and they still produce good beer.

I say brewing them i was cleaning out my closet after a move and came across 3 kits around a year or so old they all had crushed grain in vacuum sealed bags i got new yeast and brewing one a month or so ago and it didnt come out bad at all i think with some aging it will be good. Got two more kits left going to brew one next week. Whats the worst that can happen it not the best your brewed but drinkable .

If it was me, using them or not would depend on how close your LHBS is to get new grain. With an irish stout, you'd likely have some roasted barley in there to give you color, roastiness, and a little dry bitterness. I wouldn't think those attributes would be affected by age too much. Whatever else is in there (maybe flaked barley or something else) might be affected more by age? If it smells fine I'd use it if it'd be a pain to get new grain. Heck even if it is a little rancid maybe it'll give you the Guinness twang.

I live less than 10 minutes from Midwest. I'll open the bag and see.

Or maybe i'll just get some more.

Can't cost all that much, right?

Just brew it, and then get another kit and brew that...why not?

Back