Old CO2 Tank.... Could it be imparting flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewGWU

Reaction score
I made an Amber Ale and a Honey Wheat back at the first of August to put in my newly built kegerator. I have two corney kegs which were well cleaned and sanitized before used with new sanitized beverage lines. I also have a very old co2 tank that has not been refilled in over 10 years, but still has about a 1/3 of a tank left so I am using it. A few weeks afterward I took a job working quite a distance from home and was not around much to drink the finished product as much as I would like.

At first both of the beers were great... and I have been enjoying having them on tap. However, due to the job I didn't drink much for a couple months. When I started back drinking them I have noticed a distinct after taste that is getting worse. It is a twang that almost makes the back of your mouth pucker slightly. I cleaned and sanitized with starsan and did the runs separately, so I am not convinced it is santiziation issues on both since I had never had anything like this happening when bottling either. Especially since the beer was great for the first few weeks. All I can think is maybe the really old tank has some rust or something in it which is slowly imparting flavor into my beer. Has anyone ever heard of this or had it happen? Is it possible? I hate to waste the remainder of my 10lb tank of co2 if it is good and have to pay for a refill, but I hate to hook it to another keg if it is what is ruining it.

Its not the tank - prove it to yourself by bottle conditioning a few bottles from the batch. Its likely some other spoilage issue. Possible oxygen leaks in your system??

It's probably not the tank. I just picked up a couple from craigslist and a 5 pounder was full. Last cert. date was 1973. So 30 year + co2 tasted fine in my last keg

Thanks for the quick replies guys... How would oxygen be getting into a pressurized co2 system?

Back