Old Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomInMaine

Reaction score
I have a question?
I have a Stout I brewed back in 2002, I just started back into brewing and getting ready to bottle a batch so I am getting my bottles together. I found these down in the Basement cool dry place. I started to empty some of them and realized the are still under pressure, Grolsch type bottles. Me question is are these still safe to drink or at least try them? I am not sure ho9w good it will taste but it smells really good as pop them open.

No ways smells good and looks good just was not sure if it could make me sick or anything after all these years. maybe it is great and aged to perfection who knows.

Nothing that can make you sick can live in an airtight container of beer. So give it a taste and if you like it, drink it! :)

In the Dec 07 Zymurgy He reviewed bottles of homebrew going back to the first AHC competition that he had stored, and none of them went bad, some had not held up but most of them he felt were awesome...We're talking over 20 years worth of beers.

So yeah, you have probably dumped out some of the best beers you could ever drink.....Or have a bunch of cider vinegar.

DRINK! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!

I had a similar experience when I got back into the hobby. I found a 4 year old lager under boxes of bottles. Not the best beer I ever had, but really held up nicely and was decent. I would bet a stout would be great, but what do I know?

DRINK! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!

I had a similar experience when I got back into the hobby. I found a 4 year old lager under boxes of bottles. Not the best beer I ever had, but really held up nicely and was decent. I would bet a stout would be great, but what do I know?

Beer pong?

Wow thanks for the input guys, I was not yelling sorry for the larger type, I just needed a change from reading in micro print. So I did pop one and try it was not to bad very coffe front flavor, but turned vinegary. I do have some older other beers i came across and will try them also.

Back