Old beer, new yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetSounds

Reaction score
Question:
I have an imperial stout that was neglected for 2 years. (I know)

I don't have an FG for it, as it was the last beer I brewed before taking a couple years off. After re-discovering an almost full corny of the stuff, I put it back in the cooler (It was on gas the whole time it sat). It's OK - Tastes drinkable, but WAY too sweet. OG was 1.088, and I never got an FG - I'm estimating it's 1.025 to 1.03

Is there a way to pitch again and finish this thing off, 2 years later and carbonated?

I was about to dump it, but a buddy has talked me into trying to salvage something out of it...

You might be out of luck - high 20's isn't unheard of for a FG on a RIS, so there might not be any residual fermentables. You could try dry hopping it to attempt to balance the sweetness. Or make a sour and dry it out.

Throw nottingham in it. Ive never used that yeast but ive seen people on here praising it like a god. Its a fast acting dry yeast that is highly attenuative. Worst thing tnat happens is you lose the 2 bucks for the dry yeast

Back