Oktoberfest Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

synonymous18

Reaction score
Looking to brew my first AG Oktoberfest (and lager!) and would love some input:

6 gallon batch
Est ABV 6%

Pilsner Malt 5lbs 8oz (40%)
Munich 3lbs 7oz (25%)
Vienna 3lbs 7oz (25%)
Caramunich I 11oz (5%)
Carapils 11oz (5%)

Tettnang 1.25oz (60 mins)
Hallertauer 0.5oz (20 mins)

Octoberfest Lager Blend 2633

Mashing at 153 90mins
Boil 90 mins

Pitch at 48-50 and ferment for 2 weeks with a slow rise to 65-68 for 2 days then decrease to 38 to lager until September.

Appreciate any insight!

First thing I'd ask myself is what type of Oktoberfest do I want to make? A Sam Adams type? Or a lighter variety like the current german examples. Personally, I like the heartier Sam Adams type, and my Oktoberfest recipe looks somewhat similar to yours. I do use about 30% Pilsner and 60% Munich with a touch of caramunich 2 and CM3, acid malt to adjust my pH and midnight wheat to adjust color. I do like to do 1 decoction from 145 to 155, which makes my total mashtime =75 minutes. OG=1.064,SRM 16, IBU31(tettnang, hersbrucker usually, sometimes perle and hallertau).
Your recipe looks quite good. Probably don't need a 90 minute mashtime, or a 90 minute boil, but that's nitpicking.
Good luck!

I'd just drop the carapils and bump up the munich and vienna slightly to make up the gravity. Carapils isn't going to add anything to this recipe.

I'd also ferment with White Labs 833 or Imperial Harvest L17. Those are my two favorite yeasts for Oktoberfest style beers. Make sure you pitch a massive amount of yeast.

Otherwise the recipe looks pretty good for well balanced Ofest.

Last year, I did both a Festbier (current, light colored beer served at German Oktoberfest), and a Marzen (served prior to nineteen ninety-something).

For the festbier: 9# pilsner, 3.5# Vienna, 0.5# melanoiden.
For the marzen: All munich and vienna (7.5 & 5.5, resp) with 12 oz of caramunich I for color.

I'd say if you are shooting for the older, darker version, eliminate the pilsner. The malt flavor was amazing with all munich and vienna.

Last year, I did both a Festbier (current, light colored beer served at German Oktoberfest), and a Marzen (served prior to nineteen ninety-something).

For the festbier: 9# pilsner, 3.5# Vienna, 0.5# melanoiden.
For the marzen: All munich and vienna (7.5 & 5.5, resp) with 12 oz of caramunich I for color.

I'd say if you are shooting for the older, darker version, eliminate the pilsner. The malt flavor was amazing with all munich and vienna.
I think the change happened in 1991. I prefer the modern one, as the older one is a bit sweetish for my taste. https://blog.oup.com/2012/09/oktoberfest/

I just brewed a batch of Marzen with 48 percent Pilsner , 48 percent Munich and 4 percent melanoidin malt . I’m fermenting at 55 with 34/70 and used 21 IBU of magnum as a first wort hop edition.

This is also my first lager and first marzen beer so I have no idea how it will turn out. The wort smelled and tasted great though ! In hind sight i should have used some Vienna but I’m sure it will turn out fine . Going to brew another one after this is done and try and refine it.

The recipe looks great! I’d definitely stick to the 90 minute boil to make sure any DMS precursors are boiled out, especially with that amount of Pilsner and lagering.

The recipe looks great! I’d definitely stick to the 90 minute boil to make sure any DMS precursors are boiled out, especially with that amount of Pilsner and lagering.
I've read a lot (so, that part is hearsay) that suggests dms and/or precursors are driven off in way less time than thought. My perceptive pallet has never had an issue with a normal 60-minute boil on an all-pilsner recipe. Only bring this up so everyone can look at evidence and decide for himself. I don't like to cut corners, but like to save time.

Latest posts

Back