Oktoberfest 2 YEARS OLD! Is it still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleaubu

Reaction score
I brewed an Oktoberfest extract kit right around this time of year back in 2011. Bottled it, after a few weeks I tried one and decided it wasn't all that pleasant tasting. I stuck the two cases in the back of the closet and forgot about them. What are the chances that they are still good 2 years later? If it makes a difference, I used the oxygen absorbing caps.

I brewed an Oktoberfest extract kit right around this time of year back in 2011. Bottled it, after a few weeks I tried one and decided it wasn't all that pleasant tasting. I stuck the two cases in the back of the closet and forgot about them. What are the chances that they are still good 2 years later? If it makes a difference, I used the oxygen absorbing caps.

If they were made well then they should taste ok. Typically though anything under 9% doesn't age well past a year in my experience. On the plus side there is nothing that will make you sick in them so give it a try.

I guess I should have worded that a little differently. I was wanting to make sure it was safe to drink. Which now that I think about it, I cant really think of any reason that it wouldn't be. Just wanted to make sure. Unfortunately, the beer is 200 miles away at a relative's house. So now I'll have to wait till Thanksgiving to try one :(

Back