Okay to take a "break" in lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerkbag

Reaction score
Hi All,

My lagering fridge can only fit 1 fermenter or keg, and it doubles as a cold-crash fridge, fermentation chamber etc. . . I'm currently lagering a Helles in there, and am wondering what the implications are to move the helles out of the fridge for a few days (prob about 65-70f in the room) in order to cold crash another beer, and then move it back?

thanks!

Call it a diaceytal rest.

A Diacetyl rest is done at the end of fermentation.

I'm pretty sure there was an exbeeriment on warm ageing for lagers. I know I read something somewhere....;) I usually lager in my kegs, you could do the same in the bottle. You'll have to warm the beer up if you're bottle conditioning anyway.

If you need to pull the fermenter out, I'd just bottle/keg. Just my .02

sorry I should have been clear the beer is already crashed and kegged -- I'm about 2 weeks into lagering at 2C. Just wasn't sure if it would cock things up to be moving it from cold to warm back to cold during ageing / lagering.

Subscribed.I want to try lagering but will need to use ferm chamber from time to time to ferment my ales. So Id need a 10 day break at basement temps.

If you carbed it up first and then lagered it, it's probably done and ready to drink.

If not, natural carb it while it waits then a couple weeks more cold and it's done.

Back