Ok which is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artbrewer

Reaction score
I say a blonde or lighter beer is harder to make than a dark beer.
I believe this because any "off flavors" will be much more evident than an off flavor in a dark beer.
The guy who runs the LHBS that I buy from says "any jerk can make a blonde beer". He has been brewing for over 20 years!
I still disagree and think the lighter beer will show weird flavors sooner.
Whatcha Think?

More hoppy beers are going to be more forgiving, too. You have more control over the flavor that way. But Baldy beer is right, any style can be messed up. I think it depends more on the yeast you use and the temp you ferment at than anything.

I would say your water profile really determines the ease of brewing any style. The local water here is better out of the tap for dark and amber beers. Blonde beers need to be cut with some reverse osmosis or built from scratch.

I would say your water profile really determines the ease of brewing any style. The local water here is better out of the tap for dark and amber beers. Blonde beers need to be cut with some reverse osmosis or built from scratch.

+1

Once I started messing w/ my water, my lighter beers have started coming out much better.

I think water plays a large role in it as well as IBUs. But in general I do think the darker the beer the more room you have for slight off flavors. I think it's only a general rule of thumb in my book.

Kind of like making food..... the more flavors and ingredients you add to something the harder it is to taste individuals ingredients. I think the same is true for beer as well but remember that dark beer dosen't always mean strong flavor.

Light beers are no easier to or harder to brew than heavy or hoppy brews. They are just easier to detect the flaws in.

Back