OK to transfer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
I brewed a honey wheat recipe last week. The recipe that I used is below.

-3 gal water
-1.5# Red wheat
-0.25# Crystal 20-L
-1 Oz cascade hops
-3# dry malt extract
-1 Oz chinook hops
-16 Oz buckwheat honey
-Safale US-05 Dry ale yeast

The instruction said to store in the primary fermenter for 1 week and the secondary for two weeks. The seven days are almost up and the airlock is still bubbling and there is also still some foam on the wort. Is it still OK to transfer to the secondary to complete the fermentation? I would like to transfer so I can start my next batch. :confused:

Also, I am having second thoughts about the honey, did I use too much? :(

Thanks for the help :rockin:

You should never transfer while active fermentation is taking place. Your next batch may have to wait until this one stops the active ferment or until you can get another fermenter. I'd suggest another fermenter as the bucket type are relatively cheap and you will likely find that you would often want to have more than one batch going at a time.

Its probably ok to transfer, but I would leave it where it is until its slowed right down, other wise you risk it getting stuck.

I would wait till airlock activity is slow to non-existent, and then take a reading. Directions may say 1 week this and two weeks for that, but it sounds like you're still in active fermentation. Patience is key, if you leave it in the primary for 10 days it's not gonna go bad because the directions say 7 days. Good luck!

Just leave it in the primary for 3 weeks. No ned for secondary.

Thanks for the help. It looks like I am waiting.

I am squarely in the no secondary camp for most beers. However, one reason I would move a beer is to free up a needed bucket/carboy. However still, I would never rack a beer while it is still showing signs of active fermentation. So, echoing the advice above, you should wait a while longer, or even better, go get another fermentation bucket. If you stick with this hobby, you'll buy another sooner or later...and another....and another....until your basement/garage/closet is filled with plastic and glass buckets, carboys, jugs, jars, growlers, bottles.... Might as well start now!

I would wait till airlock activity is slow to non-existent, and then take a reading. Directions may say 1 week this and two weeks for that, but it sounds like you're still in active fermentation. Patience is key, if you leave it in the primary for 10 days it's not gonna go bad because the directions say 7 days. Good luck!

I agree! If you are going to transfer the beer to a secondary, take a clean/sanitized hydrometer reading on consecutive days to see if it has stopped fermenting.

Thanks guys, just got home from the store. I am the proud owner of another 6 gallon carboy. Can't wait to start my Amber Ale tomorrow. Thanks :ban:

Latest posts

Back