OK to open and close primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verde

Reaction score
I have had an IPA extract kit in a plastic bucket primary for 10 days. I want to open and check gravity to see if I should transfer to secondary (glass carboy). If I open and the gravity is still high should I recover and install the air lock again? Will oxygen getting in be an issue?

No, it's not a problem. You don't want to aerate the wort by shaking, splashing etc., but you can open the lid.
You can also transfer to secondary with some fermentation still going on, it'll finish up in the carboy. Sometimes racking wakes up the yeast a little and you get some new activity, nothing to worry about.

The airlock stopped bubbling after the 2nd day. It started off really quick, rapid bubbling in ~7 hours but then died out somewhere around the 48 hour mark. It is now at day 10 and there is no bubbling.

Just opened and it smelled great (nice hop aroma)
Gravity measured 1.019 @ 74 degrees
OG was 1.050 @ 80 degrees 10 days ago.
Recipe calls out OG 1.050-1.055 and FG 1.012-1.015.
So I think this means its time to go to secondary even though I'm a few points short of what the recipe calls for?

I would rack to secondary. It might drop a few more points or it might stay the same. Either way you're OK.
Your at 62% apparent attenuation, which is low, but not so much that you should be concerned.

I would keep it on the yeast a little longer just to see if you can squeeze a few more gravity points out of it before removing the beer from the yeast. I say give it two weeks.

What yeast did you use and how was your airation technique?

Already transferred to secondary. Yeast came with the kit, here are the ingredients:
6.6 lbs. Coopers Light Malt Extract
8 oz. Crushed Victory Malt
16 oz. Crushed Crystal 60L Malt
2 oz. Northern Brewer Hops (Bittering) AA8.0%
1 oz. Cascade Hops (Finishing) AA5.8%
1 packet Muntons Bear Yeast
Yeast was re-hydrated in room temperature water before pitching. Aeration was done by manually stirring with a metal slotted spatula for a couple of minutes.

Back