OK, now WTF??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radarbrew

Reaction score
Alaska, Honey, there's a moose on the back porch a
Pardon my french, but here's a problem for you all to help me with please. Good light pilsner, pretty clear, minus the chill haze after the fridge, and a good carbonation but it fizzles out like a soda would, leaving no head, and there is a cidery taste. I know one must be sanitation, but the other? Maybe bleach residue? A bit while scrubbing the hated bottles, but I had a good rinse. I ain't chunkin it out, it attracts bees and I have enough stings already this summer, maybe it'll get better with time and gives me something to drink while brewing again.

According to the good people at MrGoodBeer.com...

Green Apple or Apple Cider (Acetaldehyde) Aroma or Flavor

Cause:
Acetaldehyde is produced during fermentation. It is very common in a young beer. It is more evident in the aroma and flavor when either cane or corn sugars are used. Normally the acetaldehyde will dissipate over time as the sugar is further fermented. Sometimes it is caused by bacteria due to poor sanitation procedures.

Corrective Action:
Age the beer another week or two; if the acetaldehyde disappears, then there is no problem. Otherwise, reduce or eliminate the use of cane or corn sugar (substitute DME if necessary). Always watch your sanitation procedures throughout the process.

Cidery flavor...can be caused by too much corn sugar. Could also be translated as "fruity" which is due to high fermentation temps.

No head...can be soap or citrus fruit on the glass. Always rinse your glasses in cold water prior to use.

homebrewer_99 said:
No head...can be soap or citrus fruit on the glass. Always rinse your glasses in cold water prior to use.

OK, so moral of the story is: if you want head, rinse off first.

As your beer ages, all things being equal, it should develop a better head and have improved head retention no matter what. But clean classes are always a must.

Back