Ok my thermometer sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaldManBrew

Reaction score
With all my ingredients it registers 250 at a rolling boil. I steeped my grains at what should have been 155 but with that room for error probably 120 or so. I steeped 1/2 lb 2 row and 1/2 lb of wheat. It's an extract kit purchased from AHB. (I know I don't get the 2 row either). Question is what happens at lower temps?

Also this beer looks dark and it's a wheat ale. I'm done with LME

i wouldnt worry too much with temps on specialty grains. especially if you are on the cool side. warmer than 150 may cause a lot off offf flavors. you are just trying to get some color and flavor from those grains.

I dont use much LME anymore either. i like DME for it's storage, light color, and for starters. Its just a sticky clumpy mess when using it.

How long is the probe on that thermometer? My HLT is a converted keg, but sometimes I do 5 gallon batches so I have a long way to go from the rim of the tank to the strike/sparge water.

Updated: never mind I re-read the add and the probe length was there I just missed it somehow.

It probably won't make a whole lot of difference with the grains you have in that recipe. But if you ever go all-grain remember MALT.

M=more A=alcohol L=lower T=temperature

So mashing at a lower temp will = more fermentables = more alcohol but less body.

One other thing. If you boil too vigorously, you could boil off more liquid than intended which would increase your concentration and would increase your post boil gravity.

Thermapen Splashproof superfast

41EjIfSY6TL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back