Ok, I feel dumb but how do I use this keg stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paranode

Reaction score
I bought this kit:
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=22

It didn't come with any instructions but it seemed straightforward. Got the CO2 tank filled, hooked up the gas line (to the IN). I opened the CO2 tank with the regulator attached, reads about 750psi. Cranked the regulator to about 10psi because I wanted to try this 'purge' that I hear about of putting CO2 in the keg before I rack into it. However I hooked that gas in line as far onto the post as I can figure it goes, opened the valve on the regulator, and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? The pressure relief valve on the reg works so it's getting air.

When you first hook up the CO2 tank to the gas in post and turn on the gas, you should get a short his for about 10 seconds or so as the CO2 fills the corny. Once the pressure equalizes, you won't hear anything at all. When you pull up on the pressure release and gas escapes, you know it's full. Personally, I don't bother purging before I rack, just after.

Thing is, there is no hiss. It's like the gas connector isn't being depressed or something. Just how far on that post does it go? I put it as far as I could with my bare hands...

All the way down. Did you pull the lock ring back?

Also, you have a valve on the tank, and a screw on the regulator for pressure. Open the tank value, and adjust the pressure screw to set the pressure greater than zero.

Philip

You should hear a click when it presses all the way down. Sometimes it helps to pull up on the outside ring to get the nipple to insert all the way into the post.

Okay, pulling on the outside ring of the connector was the trick I was missing. Thanks guys!

Sweet sweet kegging. The smell was great as I siphoned my beer into my new (to me) sanitized keg. What simplicity too. Good-bye bottling! :ban:

paranode said:
Sweet sweet kegging... Good-bye bottling! :ban:

Kegging is a quantum leap to having more fun in brewing! I still bottle, though, but on-demand from the keg, so I can bottle just a few when I need them.

sAvAgE said:
I am going to have to start kegging.... Bottling really sucks :(

Yes it does!!! Bottled 5 gal of Porter last week, 5 gal of Irish Red last night. I hate it now. I need kegging equipment!!!!!!!

mikeyc said:
Yes it does!!! Bottled 5 gal of Porter last week, 5 gal of Irish Red last night. I hate it now. I need kegging equipment!!!!!!!

The approach I am taking is bottles for the high gravity (and sour stuff) and kegging for session beer. I think it's the best of both worlds imho.

Latest posts

Back