Ok after a week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCrown

Reaction score
So my bubbler came off during fermentation while I was on vacation and from the looks of things it seems that it may have been off for a week or so. Do you think it's still ok. Was fermenting Brandon O's graff if that makes any difference.

It's probably fine. Was it at least sheltered in a fermentation chamber of some sort?

It was kept in a closet. I guess I'll bottle it later this week and see what happens.

If it was actively fermenting you are most likely okay. Fermentation makes for positive pressure which blows any badness away. The grommet holes are so small that odds are you are most likely okay. Go for it. Infections, and other nastiness usually take a while to get noticeable. Bottle it up, if you fear infection store the bottles in something like a big tupperware container to mitigate any schrapnel from overcarbonation and enjoy. With a post count of 2 I imagine it is one of your first few batches which means it will most likely be consumed in short order anyway before anything could become a problem.

Ok,

Listen to me carefully because this is terrible! The Yeasts are your troops and you have foreign invaders, if not directly by the way of the Ninja. You need to go your local video store and get "Honey I shrunk the kids". Study it, learn it. Next build yourself a shrink ray and don't forget to bring your weapon - I tell you, you do not want to get into hand to hand combat with these nastiest. Jump into your brew and save your creation and hopefully do this before you re-size.

---

P.s. Just kidding BUT you never know the outcome. You might of gotten away with it because the closet blocked any direct air flow and you are probably passed the main fermentation phase but you will encourage growth, so I wish you luck. I would say, just let time tell - if you get a scum later - then is the time to dump the brew but until then, pretend as if it never happened.

my first brew (which was somewhat recently), i had the blowoff tube blow off and took a while to notice... i was paranoid it was infected, always tasting for off flavors really subtly.

... the beer was great... don't fear infection, just take precaution and go for it.

Well, this is my 5th cider, and I've made about 10 ales (pale, amber, IPA) plus a few meads as well, but I'll always be learning.

So after bottling and letting it sit for about a week or 2 it seems like its OK.

It has a bit of an interesting/slightly different flavor but I'm thinking its the 2# of honey that I added this time.

Thanks all for the encouragement and odd depictions of ninjas and shrinking to fight off the overlord foreign invaders.

Back