ok - 1 last question about yeast starters and Ill stop...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragman

Reaction score
so not thinking about "overbuilding" or harvesting yeast from my starters but heres what I am looking at,

I am brewing a 12 gallon batch so I can separate the wort into 3 corny kegs which I will ferment in.

I can make 2 starters using Omega Yeast and 2L flasks and hit my target cell count for the whole batch.

My issue is, how do I take my 2 - 2L yeast starters and split them evenly between 3 kegs when it comes time to pitch?

Anyone know of any tricks to do this?

I'd use the good ol' eye-crometer. Mine's calibrated to the nearest mmm-this-much.
LOL. Im guessing this might be the only way. Just wondering if I should cold crash and get rid of some of the excess beer first or just split it up evenly after the starter fermentation has completed.

I'd use the good ol' eye-crometer. Mine's calibrated to the nearest mmm-this-much.

This should be fine.

I would decant to quart jars and crash it out in the fridge, then pour off the supernatants and split the slurry from the extra quart jar between the other three quarts.

If you wanted to be anal you could take the finished starter that would go into the fourth quart jar and split it evenly between 3 pints instead.

Weight would be your best measurement. Use grams over ounces since it's more precise.

If you know the weight of your flask, you could weigh the filled flask and subtract the flask weight. Then divide the remaining weight by 3.

If you don't know the weight of your flask, use another vessel to weigh the total starter volume. Either tare the scale and then fill and divide by 3, or get the empty weight of the 2nd vessel first and then fill with the total volume of starter. Subtract the vessel weight and divide the remaining weight by 3.

Nothing wrong with eyeballing it either. :cool:

Re-hydrating with two tsp table sugar. Took off in less than two hours. Safale WB-06 from 2018, four years old.

Attachments

• IMG_5168.jpg
    IMG_5168.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back