oily buttery taste and not carbonated!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungry4hops

Hop to it!
Reaction score
5 months ago I brewed northern brewers 115th dream hopbursted imperial ipa kit. My brew day went great my og 1.091 made a 1L starter of 1056 decanted and pitched. It then remained in the fermenter for 2 months with a final gravity of 1.019. I then bottled with 5oz corn sugar and 2 cups water. I occasionally pop on open and try to see if its getting any better but its not I even flipped the bottle over a couple times to shake up the yeast. I would hate to dump 2 cases of beer! Any suggestions? Thanks!

Btw im some what of a noob but this was my 15th batch, all my brews before and after this one have been great and it is really just driving me crazy not knowing what went wrong, or how to possibly fix it, or at the very least avoid this issue in the future!

"oily buttery taste" sounds like diacetyl from stressed yeast and/or incomplete fermentation. I'd guess that 1 L starter was far too small and not enough yeast was pitched in the beer. Depending on the age of the yeast package, either four packages of yeast or a 3L starter would have been more ideal.

I don't think there is much that can fix it at this point, but time at room temperature won't hurt.

Come to think of it it is probably one of the biggest beers ive made, and it was before I really understood proper pitching rates! Thanks yooper! How long do you think I should wait it out before its a lost cause?

Come to think of it it is probably one of the biggest beers ive made, and it was before I really understood proper pitching rates! Thanks yooper! How long do you think I should wait it out before its a lost cause?

I've never heard of a diacetyl-ridden beer improving all that much. But I hate to be a Debby Downer, so unless you need the bottles or storage space I'd suggest keeping it until you just can't keep it anymore.

Back