Oil Slick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daznz

Reaction score
I had a peek at one of my brews in the Secondary i see it has a light film on the top it looks a bit oily is this a infection i did sanitize every thing
before i racked
Daza :(

Was the recipe a pre-hopped syrup? I had the same situation on my first brew using one of these cans. I havent used pre-hopped extract since then and have never seen the oil slick again either.

I would venture to guess that the oil that you see is hop oil, and is not a huge problem although not desirable. It is very improbable that the film signifies an infection, but have you tasted a sample? If it tastes ok, then it is ok.

- magno

Hi ya magno

yea the kit was pre hopped and i did add a bag of dry malts that where pre hopped as well.. It tasted ok maybe a little sour but not bad. Is the sour taste
a bad sign?
Thanks for your help
Daza

If it is drinkable you should be fine. The flavors will develop with aging. Leave it in the secondary for two weeks (one week minimum) bottle it and wait two or three weeks. After all this waiting you should be left with some good homebrew.

In the future, I would try to stay away from the pre-hopped kits. With kits you do not have control over the amount and type of hops are used, and it is not an efficient way to add hops to your brew.

Good luck

-magno

I got that in a stout one time when I added a vanilla bean to the fermenter. I was going to call it "oil-slick stout". I assumed it was because of the oil in the bean....the stout wasn't very good so I'll never know if it was infected or just the bean doing it....

Thanks for ya help guys... yea im going to move on from the kits
and do some extract brewing
cheers Daza

an oil slick on top of the beer could also be fusel alcohol (aka; fusel oil).

If the beer tastes harsh and alcoholic, this could be the problem (and is often caused by too high of a fermentation temp or drastically underpitching yeast.)

The idea that itmight be hop oil seems plausible, too, though. I'd make my decision based on the taste of the brew. If possible, get a sample of JUST the oil and taste it.

-walker

Don't worry about it atall. I had this when brewing from a kit once and it tasted just fine. I thought it was the vaseline from the rubber carboy stopper at first.

Im thinking it is a infection now its gone like a lite skin looks like pealing skin
and you can scrap it off the top. Still tastes ok a little sour think ill bottle wats under the skin hahaha

Yeah, I'd definitely start to worry when it turns into skin....

Bottle it and see what happens. Perhaps try to get as much skin as you can off without stiring the beer up and getting the skin into suspension. If this is not possible, just puncture the skin with the racking cane and do not siphon all the way down.

Keep an eye on the bottles, and open one every week or so to be sure they're not turning into bottle bombs.

- mango

This is sounding real funky to me. :( It could in deed be an infection. And if it is tasting real sour, the sour as in Lambics sour...sanatize the STUFFING out of EVERYTHING. That is a very difficult bacteria to get rid of. My little in home butcher shop is also my brewery. Some of the sausages I make have a bacteria I add to it to sour it. (Gives Slim Jims that sharp flavor).

Some may disagree here, but with bacteria that bad, use clorox :eek: or bleach and make sure you clean and rinse everything well. Table tops, carboys etc. Just rinse, rinse and rinse your equipment.

3 things destroy bleach, heat, sunlight and complete drying.

Just Kill that bacteria!:cross:

Back