Oh Wow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeves1982

Reaction score
Guys this will probably be long, but I wanted to share my story. I’m not exactly a new brewer; however, I have not brewed in a long time. I wanted to get back into brewing and really all I needed to do was clean my old equipment and build a new mash tun. But I had stopped in at a local brewing supply store and this guy was boasting about his kits for $150. Said he’s been brewing all his life. Owned a micro brewery in a different state and all this stuff. Well he sells me on this kit which consisted of a mash tun of just two five gallon buckets. One with holes drilled in the bottom and the second with a spigot. The the holes drilled in the bottom act as the false bottom. I got the chinciest 4 gallon pot and the worst wort chiller I’ve ever seen oh and a glass carboy. Which I didn’t need, but was useful none the less. My intuition told me that this stuff wasn’t right. But the guy sold himself as a “life long” brewer. He only sells these kits that he makes by hand in his shop. Anyway that’s a whole different post. Here are my questions.

The wort chiller is the biggest issue. It looks like an immersion chiller. However it’s only quarter inch tubing and rather than you running water through the chiller. You run your wort through the chiller while the chiller is in a five gallon bucket with water and ice in it. You prime the chiller with sanitized water and then gravity feed out the first bit of sanitizer water into a pitcher. Dump it out and then let the rest go into the carboy. Great idea in theory; however, it doesn’t hold prime very well at all. And because the mash tuns false bottom is less than effective... there is enough sediment in the wort to easily clog the chiller. So my idea was to put the auto syphon in the pot and rack it through that way. The guy said not to do that because the autosyphon is too hart to sanitize and could contaminate the wort. I was so busy thinking about how stupid that was bc the wort had just come off of boil that I didn’t even think about if the plastic parts could handle the heat from the hot wart. So I ended up melting the auto syphon to the point that it bent and I clogged this chiller up so bad that I can’t even suck start it to get it flowing to clean it. The equipment is garbage and I will replace it before my next brew day. But my question is will the heat from the hot wort melting the plastic components affect my beer?

Add a brew in a bag to the bucket... I started with that style mash tun back in the early 80's. They do work but I would not use that style chiller with it. The bucket in bucket is not that much different than my stainless pot with the false bottom I use

40639-titan-15-1000.jpg

https://www.northernbrewer.com/titan-universal-false-bottom-15-diameter
They have a smaller one that would probably fit the bottom of the outer bucket!

No the melted plastic shouldn't hurt anything... if it released any chemicals it will be a small amount.

I don't know if the melted plastic will change the flavor, but I would wait and see. Time heals many things in brewing. I agree with Mary about the bag. A five gallon paint strainer will do, a custom bag is best, or make your own from voile curtain.
Sorry you got burned on your purchase. If you ever go back, beware of anything that guy tells you.

I don't know if the melted plastic will change the flavor, but I would wait and see. Time heals many things in brewing. I agree with Mary about the bag. A five gallon paint strainer will do, a custom bag is best, or make your own from voile curtain.
Sorry you got burned on your purchase. If you ever go back, beware of anything that guy tells you.

I’m not going back. I found another supply store that I like much better. They sell five gallon cooler tubs which I like the simplicity of. I really would prefer to build my own with the pvc slotted. That’s what I’m used to. And for wort chiller I think I just want to go with a regular immersion chiller. I purchased the kit bc I was being lazy and looking for an ez way to get back into brewing. I wish I had taken my time and purchased things. I paid $150 for a kit and the only two useful things I got out of it are a carboy I didn’t need, but just gives me a second and a hydrometer. The pot is to small to boil 5 gallon all grain batches.

Yea, never go back to that guy. It's all wrong wrong.

However, that dbl-bucket mash tun was popularized by one of the homebrewing founding fathers, Charlie Papazian (he called it the Zapap mash tun, his last name spelled backwards). He advocated for it in his seminal book on homebrewing, Joy of Homebrewing. I attempted to make it work, failed epic-ally, and tossed the whole assy. Here's a picture of that fateful night, with the Zapap hopelessly stuck. The entire mess was a loss, and good thing, too, because if I had succeeded in getting the wort out of there I'm sure I would have also experienced my first infected brew.

full

However, that dbl-bucket mash tun was popularized by one of the homebrewing founding fathers, Charlie Papazian (he called it the Zapap mash tun, his last name spelled backwards). He advocated for it in his seminal book on homebrewing, Joy of Homebrewing. I attempted to make it work, failed epic-ally, and tossed the whole assy. Here's a picture of that fateful night, with the Zapap hopelessly stuck. The entire mess was a loss, and good thing, too, because if I had succeeded in getting the wort out of there I'm sure I would have also experienced my first infected brew.

full

I agree on the infection and what makes things worse is the whole selling point they tried to pitch was the beer never touches air so it can’t get infected. The system just doesn’t work

GoodGAWD... I've been following many of your posts and need to ask.... what HAVEN'T you experienced brewing. I think I need to visit Clearwater FL.
Of course... It could just be the Holiday Rye IPA which I have been consuming massive quantities... Hell... The holidays are over./.. right? Gawdddam this is a fine brew...
Where was I? Oh yes... Time to visit Clearwater, Florida...

GoodGAWD... I've been following many of your posts and need to ask.... what HAVEN'T you experienced brewing. I think I need to visit Clearwater FL.
Of course... It could just be the Holiday Rye IPA which I have been consuming massive quantities... Hell... The holidays are over./.. right? Gawdddam this is a fine brew...
Where was I? Oh yes... Time to visit Clearwater, Florida...

I just talk a lot. I give off impressions that probably aren't accurate.

Depending on your needs and goals, the initial cost can be really small. To get back in quick, I would do no sparge full volume single vessel BIAB. That way you’ll have a big ass pot if you want to go multi-vessel at some point.

Back