Oh what a difference 2 weeks make

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosox

Reaction score
I had recently brewed a Christmas Ale back in early December and had let the beer bottles condition for about 3 weeks, and opened them up as part of our tailgate at the last Patriots game of the regular season on January 2nd (unfortunately there wouldn't be many games after that :( )

Upon tasting the beer, I was extremely disappointed. I could not taste ANY of the multiple spices I used, such as allspice, cinnomon, ginger, or orange peel, and the beer came off as very bitter, didn't taste carbonated, and was very cloudy.

I knew that I should give it at least 4 weeks conditioning, as it was a moderate OG/FG beer and had plenty to work with and mellow out, but I though damn, if this is 3 weeks into it, it's either a dud or wont be good to drink until Christmas 2011.

Fortunately with me, I never put all my bottles in the fridge at once. I only put a few in, and let the other keep conditioning until I drink them all up. So I put 3 more in the fridge recently after now a little over 5 weeks and WOW!!!

The beer is practically CRYSTAL clear, the bitternes has mellowed out a lot, the head foams nicely, you can see bubbles rising up the glass, and it has that crisp taste of a beer. I can also now detect the orange and possibly a hint of aroma of cinnamon. a BIG BIG BIG improvement from 2 weeks ago.

So I guess everyone is right, RDWHAHB and wait for your beer to do it's thing on its own.

:ban::mug::mug::ban:

My spice beers suck until at least 3 months I've been finding. My September squash beer started tasting good in January. It's too bitter before then. I get this kind of weird harshness at the end mostly towards the back of my mouth, all my spiced beers have this and it never completely goes away.

Great to see this thread. In November I brewed Papazian's Holiday Cheer brew and let it sit in the carboy until last weekend when I bottled. Prior to this, because I was curious, I bottled two flip-top bottles and let them condition a few weeks.

The first bottle I drank about 2 weeks after bottling - the bitterness made my mouth turn inside-out. I figured I'd better not keg this one if I had to struggle to drink it. So last weekend I bottled the rest (rather than keg) and later that same day I tried the second bottle which had conditioned more than a month. Wow! What a difference that time made. Funny how we KNOW these things about beer maturing/mellowing/developing yet worry a bit too much initially. What a hobby that we can create something that is so out of our control and yet so within our control. The bitterness is now a subtle crispness to the mellow flavour of the ginger and cinnamon. The carbonation is perfect, the head perfect and the clarity and colour are beautiful.

Time is our friend!

B

Back