Oh CRAP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moody_Copperpot

Reaction score
I was kegging my beer today, and I did my usual cleaning process. I had maybe two gallons of star san solution in the keg; I rolled it around, got it nice and sterile, then I ran some through my lines. Maybe a gallon or a bit more. I didn't run it all through, because I never do. I shut off my tap and let the solution sit in the line until I'm ready do drink my first pint. I started transferring my beer into my keg, and after two gallons or so was transferred in, it dawned on me that I'm not confident that I emptied the remaining sanitizer out of the keg before putting the beer in! I have no idea how much would've been in there. A quarter gallon, half gallon? A gallon? I don't really know. I took a sample from the keg with a beer thief, and one from the fermentor as well. It's hard to say that they taste much different, if any different at all. My keg certainly seems more full than usual. So is this keg just done for if there is sanitizer in there of that volume? This was a really expensive beer to make, so I hate to dump it unless I have to.

I'm also not sure that there IS any sanitizer in there. I had a larger ending volume this time, that I do know. I just do not remember dumping the sanitizer out, because my mind was kind of wandering. I'm at a total loss of what to go here.

I see no harm in drinking it, lmao, as opposed to dumping if it is expensive...

If you managed to stop adding to it, do you have another keg you can add the rest to? If so, you could try the two against one another and see if it made a difference in flavor? Not sure what other options you have. If you don;t have nother, I'd say just fill her up and see how it does. I don't see any "harm" aside from watered down flavor and ABV...

Not much you can do about it now. I would drink a pint or two. See if it tastes awful or gives you the runs. If it doesn't...I don't know man, it will probably be okay to drink.

Perfect! It's all in the one keg, and the flavor of it seems to be fine. I just wanted to make sure it was safe to drink, and it seems to be, from what I'm hearing. I cold crashed it for over a week, and now the clarity will definitely be affected, but oh well. A little cloudy due to star san, I can deal with.

why not take a hydro sample and compare with your last reading, or your target FG? That way you might know about how much starsan water made it in? Drinking it shouldn't harm you, but as others have a alluded to it's going to come down to how it tastes. Get your mother in law to drink one, see what happens.

Latest posts

Back