Oh crap - hot pad fell off wall into my primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treemind

Reaction score
I was just transfering my primary to secondary in the kitchen.
My wife has a few hot pads as ART on the wall above my sink counter, you know the kind you place a hot pan on after cooking? these are some artsy fartsy ones she was given as a gift.

Anyhow, one JUST FELL off it's hook as I was about to rack, it FELL from the wall and "plunk" right into the recently opened primary. I pulled it out within a second... then didn't know what to do. So i racked MOST of my beer, leaving a bit extra that i hope would have been on top. Needless to say it was a total drag.

Is this a death wish for my beer? I have been so dang clean and careful, what a freaking nutty accident! Its an 8% red ale, and the wort tastes so good. I just hope i didn't ruin it.

What do you think my odds are that it could go bad?

The fact that the beer is an 8%ABV helps. I'd bet the beer will turn out just fine; you've got nothing to lose at this point so just wait it out.

yep, thats what i am thinking. 8% helps but it's anyones guess at this point.

After the primary it's pretty hard to mess up beer. I'm sure it'll be fine. :mug:

Now about a name for this odd brew.... :rolleyes:

Well, it was hop heavy. How about hop heavy hot-pad ale!

I just bottled a "potholder brown" -- a <5% brown. Right at yeast pitch, I dropped a nasty-ass gunked up with all types of dried food on it potholder (hot pad) directly into the wort as I was transferring from kettle to bucket and swished that guy around really good in there. Some small pieces of dried food broke off in the wort. I didn't even try to filter that stuff out. Pitched and went to bed.

The beer tasted excellent at bottling time. I mean fuggin' good. Don't worry.

Beer is tougher than many books make you think. That's not an endorsement of poor sanitation practices, mind you. I've done lots of ugly stuff to beer that has turned out OK.

Anyhow, what else can you do? If it's going to get a case of the funk, there's really nothing you can do about it, so bottle away and hope for the best.

I just bottled a "potholder brown" -- a <5% brown. Right at yeast pitch, I dropped a nasty-ass gunked up with all types of dried food on it potholder (hot pad) directly into the wort as I was transferring from kettle to bucket and swished that guy around really good in there. Some small pieces of dried food broke off in the wort. I didn't even try to filter that stuff out. Pitched and went to bed.

Oh man that's funny stuff!! I'm laughing over here--mostly because I'm feeling your pain! I almost spit up beer on my laptop just now... :eek:

Back