OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpume

Reaction score
Good day brewers ,thank you for taking your time to view this post ,I would love to ask some few questions .so I brewed a Vienna hybrid style today when I took my Pre boil gravity (after adding extract) it was on 1.040 ,I than boiled the worth adding hops at 60min ,45 and 15 min than I chilled it to 22°C .before I pitched my yeast I took OG and it was on 1.060 ,my question is how could it have gona so up ? I ended up with 20liter on the fermenter .I used 3kg Vienna and 1.7kg extract .thank you in advance

If you measured your sample hot and did not apply a correction the reading will be wrong. It's best to cool the sample before you take the reading.

So meaning if I want to take efficiency I must first chill the beer to pitching temperature or I must do hydrometer temp adjustment when the worth is to hot?

Last edited:
So meaning if I want to take efficiency I must first chill the beer to pitching temperature or I must do hydrometer temp adjustment when the worth is to hot?

Either one works. There are calculators that can adjust for temp, or you can chill your sample to room temp (I think 68F/20C is the correct temp for most hydrometers).

But what RPh_guy said is correct, too.

None of the previous suggested explanations would account for a 0.020 gain during boil. The key to your measurement issue is insufficient mixing after adding the extract. It takes a LOT of vigorous mixing to homogenize wort after adding sugar or extract. If the wort is not homogenized prior to sampling, the pre-boil SG you measure will depend on whether you sample from a low SG or high SG region of the wort. This is a very common problem when brewing with extracts.

Your post-boil SG (your OG) measurement will not suffer from this problem since boiling is very effective at homogenizing the wort. Believe your OG measurement.

Brew on :mug:

Look at the documentation that came with your hydrometer. It should list a temperature for which no correction is needed (60F for example). There will also be a temperature range for which corrections may be applied (50-105F for example).

In the above example 60F is the ideal temperature for taking readings. I try to stay within ten degrees (+/-) of that.

When I sample chilled wort (~64F) it can be measured as is. When I sample between mashing and boiling the wort is too hot, so I put the sample container in a bucket of water or the refrigerator to cool it down before taking the reading.

None of the previous suggested explanations would account for a 0.020 gain during boil.
6L (~1.5 gal) boil off and reading the pre-boil using a 60F-calibrated hydrometer at 99F would cause an apparent increase of 20 points :)

So yeah, probably mixing issues too.

6L (~1.5 gal) boil off and reading the pre-boil using a 60F-calibrated hydrometer at 99F would cause an apparent increase of 20 points :)

So yeah, probably mixing issues too.
I didn't actually do the math, it's just a much bigger delta pre to post than I am used to seeing.

Brew on :mug:

Back