OG wayyyyy too low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epicac2

Reaction score
Im not sure what went wrong. Beeralchemy says this recipe should have been 1.051. I completely forgot to take a reading until 3 hours later. It came in at 1.027. Not sure why its so low. I know it's not good to take a reading after pitching yeast but I dont think that is the only problem. Hmm, oh well. Guess I'll try again tomorrow

Yeah, I had an issue on my first all grain batch, but I was way over with my SG. Did you sample from the top? If so, the heavier stuff settled to the bottom. I sampled from the bottom, so that's why I came in way too high.

BTW, I use BeerAlchemy too. Great app.

Do you check for conversion after the mash? Either by tasting the wort or doing an iodine test? If not, it might be a good idea, if you're having this kind of issue pop up. Check your thermometer, hydrometer, etc. for accuracy, too. Check your crush. The list of potential problems goes on...

No I dont. But I will for my next brew in a few days. i got 3 all grain kits for xmas, so its going to be a busy week.

What does "check your crush" mean?

i took a gravity reading today. It was 1.012. Exactly what beeralchemy said it would finish at. Since I hit my FG number, do you think my low OG was due to a late reading(3 hours after pitching yeast)

Latest posts

Back