OG way different than book. Will this still taste ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMike

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I started made this recipe last Thursday for a friends bachelor party in July. Its for a British southern brown ale but the OG that is predicted in the recipe book says the OG was going to be 1.044, but when I actually made it, I got an OG of 1.071. BeerSmith estimated around 1.069, so it seems this was an error in the book.
I know this is way out of style now but was more concerned if it would still taste good since there is much more alcohol in it.

This is for a 5 gallon extract
6 2/3 pounds of light malt extract
1 pound crystal malt (80L)
1/2 pound chocolate malt
1 pound dark brown sugar
1 ounce Kent Goldings hops (60min)
1/2 ounce Perle hops (30min)
White Laps WLP005 British Ale 1L starter

I steeped the crystal and chocolate malt for 30 min at 155F. I added the extract and brown sugar at the beginning of the 60min boil.

My other concern was that I made a 1L starter for an OG of 1.044 not 1.071, but that took off the next day and I maintained fermentation temps around 67. And since this is a much higher gravity brew, I'm guessing it needs to sit in the fermenter longer than the 1 week the book says.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice :)

With an OG of1.071,I was wondering if the pound of dark brown sugar was a touch much? Or is that per recipe? I think it'll take at least 3 weeks to ferment out. I also think maybe your mash temp could've been a we bit higher to cut the OG a bit.

Mash temp? I think you misread, he's steeping for an extract kit.

I haven't steeped in a while but 155F should be good. Looks like the book was wrong. If your going by a book, I'd throw that one away. I can't think of any beer that would be ready in a week. The minimum for a new brewer is three if you're kegging, six if you're bottling.

Ya, the pound of brown sugar was part of the recipe, I just followed it exactly.

And it also says to use 155 degrees for steeping because its more I think for flavoring, not to get the sugars from the malt. But I really don't know much about temperatures and grains yet, I need to start reading more on that.

Mash temp? I think you misread, he's steeping for an extract kit.

I haven't steeped in a while but 155F should be good. Looks like the book was wrong. If your going by a book, I'd throw that one away. I can't think of any beer that would be ready in a week. The minimum for a new brewer is three if you're kegging, six if you're bottling.

Haha ok, I think if I borrow anymore from the book, I'll check beersmith first. And ya I'll be bottling.

Any ideas on how this will all taste?

Haha ok, I think if I borrow anymore from the book, I'll check beersmith first. And ya I'll be bottling.

Any ideas on how this will all taste?

Leave it in the fermenter 3 weeks so the yeast cleans everything up. Bottle for 3 more and enjoy.

It will be strong (6.5%-7.5%) but good.

...must be my sometimers acting up again. I could've sworn I saw the word mash. Anyway,my wife steeped hers at 160F,the BB instructions being 150-165. 170 being the tannin threshold,we decided on 160. The hydrometer sample tasted pretty good at 2 weeks & 3 days. OG on that summer ale kit was 1.050. 1.011 today. So it's working pretty good for that "steep" temp. That's what I had meant to convey.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses! Sounds like everything will be ok. I'll be looking forward to this one when its done.

Back