OG Readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
Hello,

Still new at this .... I started a 5 gal. batch of beer yesterday. 6 lbs. of Rice Syrup, 3 lbs. of White Sorghum syrup, and 1.5 lbs. of Honey along with Hops, Maltodextrin, yeast nutrient, yeast and various spices for this holiday beer. My OG was 1.081 adjusted for temperature. Does the OG sound in line with these ingredients ? Plan on leaving it alone for at least two weeks before taking a FG reading, and then a second FG to insure fermentation is done. All of this sound reasonable ? Thanks very much - Steve

Definitely on your way to a strong beer. What yeast did you use and how much? You can get a sense of your ABV potential based on the attenuation profile of your yeast.

I would say pretty damn close! See pic...

1600884775151.png

That's at 5.25 gallons in the fermenter so you're damn close.

As far as everything else goes, yes, sounds reasonable. 2 FG readings spaced a couple of days apart will tell you if you're done or if you're still fermenting.

Hi, used Nottingham Ale yeast, 11 g. Don’t know what the attenuation is on this particular yeast. Don’t know if it matters but in the kettle I started with 3 gallons of water for the hour boil. I then cooled that and added it to two more gallons of water And it all went into the car boy. then took the original gravity reading. Since this is going to be a higher ABV do you see any need in adding a little yeast along with the bottling sugar before I bottle it to assure a good carbonation? Thanks for the replies appreciate it. By the way having a very strong fermentation.

9% give or take... will let the bottling gurus weigh in on bottling etiquette...we primarily keg our brews.

Back