OG readings are off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewfill

Reaction score
i constantly am getting a OG reading lower than I should. If it should be 1.054 i get 1.045...if its supposed to be 1.04 i get 1.03??? why is that? what am i missing? i am brewing by recipe kits so everything is already portioned out for me. how could i be getting this wrong?

Could be that you ended up with more than the traditional 5 gallons of wort or that you are taken hydrometer readings at a higher temp than it is calibrated for. With my hydrometer a wort that is 100 F is going to read about .01 lower than a 68 F wort

Are you doing partial boils? Getting weird OG readings is pretty common since it is hard to be certain of a perfect mix when doing partials

Do you top off with water?

If so it could be that the top off water is not fully mixing with the wort. It happens a lot in extract brews.

Check you hydrometer in plain water at 68 F. It should read 1.000. If it's higher or lower, make a mental note and add or subtract that to your readings. I have a hydrometer that is 1.002 off. It's the only one that has not broke yet.

It's most likely the wort & top off water aren't getting mixed well. I pour all through a fine mesh strainer to aerate it well,but I think it helps mixing a little. I then stir roughly for 5 minutes straight to aid mixing & aerate further. I get 3-5 inches of foam,& better readings with this method.

Are you all grain brewing or extract? If you are brewing all grain just adjust your brewhouse efficiency to accommodate and adjust next time.

That might be it. I am topping the water off and bringing it to 5 gallons before I test the OG. I'm guessing that's what is making it lower....next batch I will check hydrometer before topping it off. Should I aerate before topi g off to 5g? I usually put wort in fermenter, add water to get to 5 gallons and then aerate for about 5 min. Then I check the hydrometer and pitch the yeast. Am I backwards somewhere?

You should pour in the chilled wort roughly,dito with top off water to final volume. Then stir roughly for 5 minutes straight to mix the wort/top off water. I aerate with a fine mesh strainer while adding them,then stiring. Then take your hydrometer reading.

Ok thanks. I haven't tried using the strainer when pouring so I'll do that to help aerate. I appreciate the help. I have an IPA I plan on brewing this weekend and I'll update on the results...

Back