OG problem.... Maybe..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefstarr

Reaction score
So I just did my first batch and got a IPA kit from true brew, and the recipe didn't excite me. So I added 2 more oz of hops, and did a full boil instead of a partial, so I could boost the IBU. But my gravity tube broke five minutes before I needed it,"damn kids lol" so I grabbed a small vase and did it. Does anyone see a problem with these two pictures?? ( would this read it accurate ) The gravity seems high to me.

image-3571823724.jpg

image-3794086578.jpg

What's the other side of the hydrometer say. Your showing us the wrong side.... But from looking at mine your in the 1.050 range I guess. Sounds about right. One thing to remember, extract kits are notorious for being hard to get an accurate OG reading. It is difficult to ensure a good mixture from the added water. So often the OG readings for an extract brew are way off. No worries. Extract efficiencies are pretty much rock solid. Just go with the OG that is in the directions. But, the vase should give the same reading as a tube.

Your right, I was looking at the balling reader and feel stupid. And it was at 70 degrees

Glad I could help, it was also I good lesson to not drink 8 beers during the brew.

Latest posts

Back